6mm br

284wins

Hi,

Have been playing with the idea of going deer hunt next fall with a 6mm br and wonder if some have done it.

The shot would be 300yds or lest and im looking at speer 100gr btsp bullet.

Those bullet gave me great result on deer in 308win and 7mm rem mag at 200yds and under.

From my experience and the data I found on the net it should give me good result.

So what are you thinking? Should I try it or not?

I shoot f-class up to 600yds so shot placement wont be a problem.

Go for it. Dunno why anyone would compare it to a 223. The 6BR is a soft 243 for the most part.
I like the SST's, I know others don't. I have had zero issues with them from 6mm-300WM.
You shoot F class so you know accuracy trumps speed. Then bullet performance. If the Speer you mention is the old hot core or the new gold dot, I had good results with the Hot Cores when they were available.

We shoot mule deer here with 6 brs, out to 200 yards with 75 grain speers with no issues.
Have used 90 gr. Game changers on a few in the 280 yard range, good placement and they will go 30-50 yards. Longer shots on hay fields where we can watch where they tip over.

Last edited:
Go for it. Dunno why anyone would compare it to a 223. The 6BR is a soft 243 for the most part.
I like the SST's, I know others don't. I have had zero issues with them from 6mm-300WM.
You shoot F class so you know accuracy trumps speed. Then bullet performance. If the Speer you mention is the old hot core or the new gold dot, I had good results with the Hot Cores when they were available.
Im speaking about their boat tail sofpt point, many hunter I know dont like em but they do alot of troma in deer so im not worry about them not to work. None of the deer I have shot with that bullet when futher than 50yrds with most gone lest than 25yrds

This going to be deer rifle only beside target, got heavier hitting for moose.

I do like sst to, those are on my list if I canot find speer like I whant

We shoot mule deer here with 6 brs, out to 200 yards with 75 grain speers with no issues.
Have used 90 gr. Game changers on a few in the 280 yard range, good placement and they will 30-50 yards. Longer shots on hay fields where we can watch where they tip over.
Im not hunting in open field, more in deeper wood but 300yrds will be possible and that my target for next season.

Traking job is easy when the vital are gone 🤪

Anything is possible but I put that idea right there with hunting deer with a .223. Guys do it but it sure has its limitations. Unless it's the only gun you own; why bother.

What are the limitations? Low recoil? The ability to observe hits/misses through the scope? Confidence from shooting it a lot?

Anything is possible but I put that idea right there with hunting deer with a .223. Guys do it but it sure has its limitations. Unless it's the only gun you own; why bother.
Because it works just fine. I'm building a 6 br for the exact same reason. Why burn piles of powder just to make up for inefficiency? I've killed piles of deer with up to 338 edge and smokeless cannons but there's just something special when a mild crack and next to zero recoil results in a perfectly executed shot!! I used never pay the short lil 6br no attention at all till I picked up an xp100 in the classifieds. The more I tinker with it the more I like it. Enough that I'm waiting on components to come in. I've had piles of "deer cartridge's" over the years but almost always grab a 22-250 or such to go for those last hour walks after work or chores. I'd suppose a 223 would work just as good.

I have gotten great results from Sierria 85 BTHP gameking,but good luck finding anything other than .308 or .224 in a green box these days. That being said I would think the Speer would get the job done. Wouldn't be afraid to try good old 100 grain interlock BTSP either.

I have done more damage on vital with small caliber than some guy I know using magnum. Good bullet choice and most of all shoot placement is the key.

If bullet get out to fast from your game you wast energy.

Interesting fact last season, 3 hunters arrive at the butcher at the same time as I. They still dont beleve me I taken my deer with a 7mm rem mag at 200yds due to the size of the hole... they said it must be 338win or more...

Off the subject of 6br but fast little bullets do perform! This bullet was a .224 Speer TNT 50 grain hp. 22-250 3900fps impact at 479 lasered yards. Perfect heart shot. Doe jumped like it got stung and then stood there. When I reloaded as I assumed I missed somehow she laid down in the overgrown field. When I drove up to her I assumed she was going to bust out so I reloaded but when I located her she was stone dead. I found the bullet under her hide while feeling for an exit hole.

Attachments

• 68DBF2E1-B509-42B3-803F-A7E0FBD16A4B.jpeg
    68DBF2E1-B509-42B3-803F-A7E0FBD16A4B.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 38