6mm SLR deer hunting

Couch11b

Wondering if anyone has used Berger 105's or 115's for deer hunting if so what were your results, what was the distances and how do you feel they performed? Mine best friend and I are currently building two 6mm SLR we plan using for deer, coyote, and target. The barrels are bartlien 3b 1:7.5"twist 24" with defiance rebel medium actions.
Thank you Colby

I shoot 105 bergers in my 6x47 at 3100. I've shot 2 mule deer and 4 blacktail with it and all were dead right there. Farthest was one of the mule deer at 375. I did built a 6.5 saum this year just because we generally get elk tags while deer hunting in CO. I will continue to use the 6x47 on blacktail. Hope this helps.

It does thank you. I live in East Tennessee so our white tails are usually rather small. 150-200 lbs. shots usually anywhere from 50 to 400 yards

My results with Bergers has not been good. The one buck I shot was in the 150's and was at 483 yards, I held for the front shoulder and it dropped at the shot. We watched for a couple of minutes and in seeing no movement went back to the truck as he was on a ranch road. It took a good 10 minutes to get there and when we did he was gone. No blood, nothing, I walked to the highest point about 75 yards away and found him there against a fence still alive but hurt bad enough that he couldn't get through the fence. As I walked up to him he got up and ran almost back to the truck before going down again, I was then able to finish him with another shot. When I butchered him I found that the bullet had hit the flat part of the shoulder blade, made a hard right and went into the neck most of it going out the other side. I've also shot 6 coyotes at ranges from 318 to 1234 yards, most between 500 to 600 yards. Only recovered one coyote as the rest went down but got up and left never to be found. The one I found was 200 yards from where I shot him and hit in the lungs as I skinned it to see for sure what happened, penciled through. All were shot with 115 Berger hunting bullets from my 243 win, 1X7 twist coming out around 3125 fps. Super accurate but they didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.