6mm BR question

COAL doesn't really mean much. It is usually a number close to a factory or SAMMI spec. Different bore diameters or throats make this change. Take a Dasher for example. A lot of guys use a .104 freebore. A lot use a .135 freebore. I use a .155 freebore. If you loaded a 105 Berger in the three different guns the COAL would be different. I believe like Canadian Bushman said that you have a measuring error someplace. Matt

I was able to meet with a long time accuracy shooter last night. He showed me how to remove the ejector & was able to confirm that my head space was dead on.

I consider this to be a victory since it was the 1st time I've done it on my own.

He determined that my throat was pretty tight and it stopped the bullet from reaching the lans. He took the handle of a screwdriver & gently tapped the interior rod on the inside of the oal gauge until he reached a harder stop at the lans. The bullet was grabbed each time by the lans & had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod.

The OAL reading he got after doing this several times was 2.363

Do ya'll think this is consistent to what you're getting on your 6mm br OAL readings?
I know every chamber is different but there is still a generally accepted range that you would expect from a popular bullet like the Berger 105gr VLD

Gordy uses tape, that's good enough for me.

Leave the extractor, remove the ejector and the FP.
Tape or any shim is for an experienced person,,,, one who knows and completely understands barrel fitting and gauging. Shims have no place on gauges in the hands of a "beginner". Who really knows what experience another on an internet gun forum has? Recommending advanced measuring techniques to a "beginner", who may or may not understand all the principals involved,,, well............

I didn't recommend it. I said it was good enough for me.

For the record, not everyone believes that putting a piece of Scotch tape on the back of a go-gauge is "advanced." It's nice to understand the principles involved in the process, but it's an ongoing process, even for 'experienced' folks.

(This area was where I removed a bunch of stuff that I wrote because I was a bit miffed with what I perceived to be your preachy internet tone, but since I didn't recommend tape, I assumed that you were talking about someone else so I erased it.)

Personally, I have no dog in the fight over tape vs. a no go gauge. I actually had ordered a no go gauge from midway a few minutes before I spoke with Jim at Northland Shooting Supply. He told me not to bother with the gauge & to save my money. He knows more than me, (most folks do) so I cancelled the no go gauge order & followed his instructions. My experience with go gauges & setting headspace goes all the way back to Monday.
So, if I have offended in any way or come off "preachy" it was not intended. As I've continued to state I'm just a newbie starting out and trying to learn.

Sorry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.