• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

6mm Arc Howa Mini or other mild 6mm

eric1115

Looking to pick up a "first deer rifle." My oldest started with a 7mm-08, and now 12 he shoots that well with 120 grainers. In hindsight, something milder would have been a better starting point.

Daughter turns 10 this summer, and has been shooting a bunch of rimfire and .223 AR stuff for the past couple of years. I think I want to get a dedicated "first couple years" rifle, as we have 4 more younger than her that will need something also. Assuming they each decide to stay with it we can figure a longer term rifle out when they are 12-13 and next youngest sibling is ready to start.

All that is to say, I think a compact, light-ish, mild 6mm (BR? Dasher? maybe a 6 Creed?) seems like a perfect option for this. .223 is a consideration if it's twisted fast enough for a 77 TMK, as is a 6.5 Grendel. I hand load, so no need for factory ammo availability. Elk are on the menu, but it will be mostly used for mule deer and pronghorn. Adjustable LOP would be a bonus, but not necessary. Money is tight-ish (kid #6 just arrived last summer), but I do see this as an investment in getting a clan of hunters off on the right foot.

Apologies for the most vague and open ended WTB ad ever, but if you've got something that fits the category I would love to hear from you!

Snipershide guy has a barreled action 6mm grendel for sale