6mm advice

Oh yeah, by 600 yards, the 87 Vmax will totally outclaass the 75 V-max...
Remember, muzzle velocity means nothing for the most part, no animal on earth is going to be shot at 0 yards.. at least most of the time.
the 75's might beat out the 87's at the muzzle by 150-200 fps, but by 200 yards, I'll bet the differance is only 50-100 fps, but 300-400 yards pretty much the same velocity.

It's funny how some people think 4000 fps is just going to tear the insides out vs a gun that only shoots 3000 fps...
My friend has a 22-250 that he shoots 45's at 4000 fps... I have my 25-06 I shoot Berhger 115 VLD's at 3200 fps...
by 200 yards, the 115 is about the same velocity as the 45 from the 22-250... by 400 yards.. the bullet that leaves the muzzle at almost 800-1000 fps slower is going much faster.... more shocking power, more expansion (depsnding on bullet design somewhat), more energy..
by 500-600 yards the 22-250 is like a BB gun, the 115 is like a flash of lightning hitting the animal expanding and going through the yote with its insides turned into hamberger.. All with close to 1000 fps less at the muzzle...
Yes BC Drag makes a differance..
The 87's would be by far my pick.. the 75's slow down like they have a parachute behind them...

I too am thinking of having a 10 twist for the 87 to 95's... in the 6mm284
I'd like to see how well the 95 Bergers at 3600 fps would do,,,, with s BC of .524...

Scott, I will be using the 87grn V-MAX too.This rifle is going to be for 500 to 800 yard varminting, and I have heard and read that the 75grn V-MAX, shot at around 3800 to 3900fps, is an awesome bullet out to around 800 yards. I know the VLD bullets have the better BC, but they don't have the destructive power that the poly tipped bullets generate. I am looking forward to shooting both the 75grn and 87grn V-MAX. My parts for this rifle still have not yet arrived. The due date for all parts is supposed to be tomorrow 06-12-2006, however, I am thinking more like July sometime. As soon as I receive the parts, I am going to have to decide on a gunsmith. I am having trouble deciding on who I should use. My current gunsmith is really busy and backed up, so I am going to have to have someone who can complete the rifle by November. I will already have the parts, so hopefully this can be accomplished. Thanks for the info.

Wildcat

Sounds like a nice rig Windcat, I'm not sure about when I'll be ready for one just yet.
From what I hear, you are right, the tipped bullets do have more expansion than the bergers, even at much slower velocity... I am not sure how this yields on coyote sized game, but I think prarrie dogs and chucks, the poly tiped bullets perform better than the thin jacket bergers.. even at 1000 yards, and even with less than 200-300 fps velocity.

I have seen a few pics on the net where the Bergers were used on coyotes.. and they really made a mess..
I have heard the 75 andf 87 gran V-max really layes em down quick from the 6mm bore rifles...
it is a shame they don't make a 97-100 grain V-max for the 257 bores...
Sounds like you are goinmg to have the ultimate varmit slayer.
scott

[ QUOTE ]
too am thinking of having a 10 twist for the 87 to 95's... in the 6mm284
I'd like to see how well the 95 Bergers at 3600 fps would do,,,, with s BC of .524...

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not be able to stabilize the Bergers with a 1-10.

I'm pushing 87 V-max at 3300 fps out of 28" ten twist Shilen on my 6MM Remington rebarreled Argentine Mauser. I could easily attained 3500 if I max the load but I already found the perfect balance between accuracy and velocity so I stop at 3300. I have no problem heating target as small as ground squirrels beyond 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts