6mm 95gr. Berger Reloading Issues

coues7

I have a good friend who has been a long range shooter for some time. He is a self taught reloader and has done amazingly well. His rifle is a factory Ruger M77 with a factory barrel. The rifle is chambered in 243 Win with a 1:9 with barrel.

He was shooting the 90 gr. Nosler BT's at 3000 fps using IMR 4831. His groups were 3/8" @ 100 yards so we know the rifle can shoot. He recently decided to go with the 95 gr. Berger Hunting VLD in an effort to get a better BC.

No he can't get the rifle to shoot anything smaller than a 1" group. He's used H4350, H4831-SC and IMR 4831. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

Read the post at the top of this section. It gives some steps to try when looking for that Holy Grail of loads with the Bergers. JohnnyK.

He likely needs to seat the bullet out further toward, or even into, the rifling.

On my Rem 700 243 9 1/4 twist I was shooting the Nosler Ballistic Tips with excellent accuracy and speed seated 0.010" off the lands. I really had to try the Bergers cause the bc would give me about 200 more yards. I spent a lot of time and bullets trying to get them to shoot, then I read on how to get them to shoot well. Well what do you know, they were right. My rifle shoots them 0.050" from the lands and is incredibly accurate. Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.