6mm-284 vs. 6.5-284

Ernie B

Good morning, for my first post on this very informative (and entertaining) forum, I;d appreciate some advice on the following: In the next few months, I plan to pursue my 1st-ever custom rifle. While I am primarily looking for a long-range varmint/deer rifle, I would also like to have a decent paper puncher as well. Of the 2 calibers I have listed, what would be my best choice. Also, what would be the best all-around barrel lengths and twists.. Thanks in advance for you input.

Welcome to the board. If you want to learn about longrange hunting, you have come to the right place. The boys here have done some amazing things with their shoulder arms.

Long range has a different meaning to most of us. It would be helful to know how far you anticipate shooting varmints or deer.

VH

Varmint Hunter,
Thanks for your response. Sorry I was not able to respond sooner. With regard to your question of how far I mean by long distance; I am hoping to do some South Dakota/Montana prairie dog shooting with the gun so I would like something that would be capable of shooting 800 - 1000 yds accurately. As far as deer, where I hunt it is not unusual to get good, open shots out to 500+ yds. Also, I hear a lot of talk about neck size issues with the 6.5-284. I don't have a lot of time to be turning necks down so I would like to know what neck diameter I should be looking at that will give me the decent accuracy I want w/o too much neck turning.

Thanks,
Ernie

Ernie

Get the 6.5/284 and put the same neck in as the Hoovers (probably the best family of shooters in 1000 yard competition) have in all their 6.5/284 guns. That's the "ONLY" caliber they use by the way.

They have a .296" Neck in their guns which means there's not a lot of neck turning to do. There is some though to clean and true the cases up.

Good luck.
DC
smile.gif

What weight of rifle do you have in mind?
Being a pessimist, I compare the compromises. Here, I see rifle weight -vs- barrel life between these two. Very close.
For contrast:
-Given even accuracy potential, the 6mm would recoil less, so the rifle could be maybe a pound lighter. Less drop, slightly more wind drift, using a lighter bullet. A little less barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.