6mm 1000yrd rifle

Brother, it sounds like no one is going to keep you from burning 55+gns of powder under a 6mm bullet, so go for it...its only money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

if you want to reach that far for animals larger than coyotes you need a bigger bullet! IMHO

7mm sounds like a better fit for your needs.

IMO if the 6mm-06 and AI worked that good, I'd have seen at least one in my last 5 years shooting 1000yd BR, but alas...

you WILL have carbon and coppering issues, and you WILL have maybe 1000rds or so of good barrel life, and you WILL NOT be able to shoot amax to that round's potential.

YMMV,
JB

This one is a little off from every one else's opinions but me and Bill Bailey have had great luck with the standard 243 win. In his savage 12bvss we can get 3140fps with 105gr a-max. Brass is cheap and the gun is easy to load for. I do think that this load is pretty fast for a standard 243 win but this gun will also shoot a 55gr bt a little over 4200fps. We have use this gun accuratly out to 1070yds and on your skinny deer I am sure it would have good killing power for quite a ways out there. BJ is hoping to get some Wildcat 6mm bullets before to long, we will have to see how they do.

Take it easy
Steve

buffalobob,
Don't stand on your head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
ay7l07.jpg

sorry if im being alittle agrivating, but i really think with a longer barrel and using bullets on the heavier end of the 6mm spectrum, this cartridge will really shine. please dont take offense, but i think im gonna go ahead and try this one. if it doesnt work out we will all know that you were right, and im not afraid to admit when im wrong, im still a kid you know? and you gotta learn as you go.
best wishes and good luck shooting
Dan

Lerch,
im glad to see there is another standard .243 fan around here! i already own one and i must say i enjoy it greatly! i shoot 55gr noslers with 52gr of H380, 70gr noslers with 47gr of H414, and 100gr Sierras with 42.5 gr of H4350, and it shoots them all extremely well, i couldnt be more please with this round. i guess im just looking for more now...we'll see how things turn out.
thanks for the input
Dan

Buffalo Bob,
looks like you have a great shooting .240! the only reason im not interested in the .240 is i dont want a belted case or the limitation of brass manufacturers that this round has. the .240 was what got me wanting more in the first place and i think it is a great round.
thanks for the group pic, very impressive!
Dan

Daniel,

What you will find is that the VLD bullets just will not shoot well much over 3200fps. That being said and believe me I thought I'd prove them all wrong. What you will end up with is a case half full and poor load density with the powders you need to be shooting. But hey what do I know I'm just a rookie. If you're really hooked on the 06 case then atleast consider the 6.5 mm or 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.