6mm 1000yrd rifle

DanielLudwig

hey guys,
some people have pointed out to me that the .243 Super Rockchucker might not be worth the trouble of forming the brass...so ill just come out and ask if anyone here is shooting any 6mm 1000yd stuff...and if so what chambering, barrell length and twist, and bullet weight you are using??
and admins..if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it...
thanks!
Dan

Daniel,

Really depends on what you want to do with the rifle at 1000 yards. Any of the medium to large 6mm rounds set up in a fast twist barrel for the VLD or ULD bullets will perform very well at 1000 yards.

I personally like a little more HP then the BR and Dasher at 1000 yards for use on chucks or other large varmints or predators. If your just paper punching anything will really work.

I use a 6mm-284 for 1000 yard chuck hunting and have had great results with it. Compared to the larger rounds it will get blown around a bit more but in good conditions it will perform very well.

In this size of a case I would recommend a 1-9 twist barrel for the 105-107 gr bullets. I also like the 243 AI and 6mm-06 chambering for serious 1000 yard work in a 6mm.

I love 30" barrels and would recommend this barrel length as well if this will be a dedicated long range rifle.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
your input is appreciated as always! It has recently been brought to my attention that Wildcat is making a 120gr. 6mm bullet. just wondering if you could provide any info on these bullets...as im pretty sure you have had dealings with this outfit. So how's a 6'06 w/ a 30" 1 in 7 or 8 twist barrel sound?
thanks to all for the replies!
later
Dan

This is mostly jsut a test of whether I caan post a picture

316710.jpg

Good thing it wasn't a test of whether I can type.

To veiw the picture you either have to turn your computer upside down or stand on your head.

This is a 500 yds group from a FN action Douglas heavy sporter barrel w/ timmney trigger-- 240 Wby shooting the Sierra 70 gr SMK. That is two quarters on the target and groups size is about a quarter and a half (37cents). Action is not blueprinted or anything. (ignore the little 17 Rem holes scattered around - there was some wind and the 17 bullets do not like wind at 500 yds)

The barrel is a 1-10 twist and will stabilize 100 gr Sierra game kings but will not stabilize 105 AMaxs . The throat is freebored and you cannot seat to the lands.

My bottom line is that there are three cases of almost exactly the same capacity - 240 Wby, 6mm-06, and 6-284. They all hold the same amount of powder and fit the same bolt face. The little Sierra 70 gr SMK is great to 500 yds but after that I use the 100gr. If you want to use the 240Wby make sure you have a long discussion with your smith about what you want to do and then decide if you want any freebore and how much.

If I was to do it over again I would still have the gun freebored but would go to the faster twist as Kirby recommends. The 240 Wby has two things that the other two cartridges don't have and that is a venturi neck and a belted base. These two items are good for starting long and senseless arguments over head spacing off belts or shoulders. The other good thing about the 240 Wby is that you do not have the option of buying bad brass.

I am a long time Wby fan but not everybody is. I really do not think you can go wrong with the 6-284 because it seems like the only caliber the case is not used for is its original caliber of 284.

Mostly I just wanted to post a picture

Dan,

Yes, Richard is building 120 gr ULD RBBTs in 6mm, also 110 and 115 gr ULD RBBTs.

I have not tested the 6mm Wildcat Bullets yet but after the 224 Allen Mag is finished up(just got the reamer in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!) It will be necked up to 6mm and a 6mm Allen Mag will be released using these three bullet weights.

While I can not comment on these specific bullets I can say all the other extreme weight Wildcat bullets I have tested in several calibers have performed extremely well in accuracy at long range.

You would have to contact Richard at [email protected] and ask him what twist to use.

On the 6mm-06 issue. If you are going to use these very heavy bullets you may even consider the 6mm-06 AI. I have this reamer and with really heavy bullets it performs very well. In fact the heavier the better. Would make a true +1200 yard rifle with these heavy 6mm bullets.

The standard 6-06 will top 3500 fps with a 107 gr bullet in a 30" barrel rather easily. I have built several and they are all great performers in sporter weight or heavy rifles.

Please keep in mind that no matter how fast you drive them you are still dealing with a 6mm bullet. Ballistically they can be extremely impressive but remember that energy is always a limiting issue as is spotting bullet impacts at extreme range with these smaller bullet calibers.

That understood, they can produce very impressive results at 1K.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
thanks for the info, and i do know that a 6mm will be my limiting factor in the end...but i have had awesome results with 6mm bullets in the past in sporter rifles, and i guess ive just grown kinda fond of them. i have made about a dozen kills at 375-400yds. but i will be the first to admit that this is teetering on the far end of how far id shoot deer sized game with the 100gr Sierra SBTs. they still perform well on impact, but the wind really eats them up out there. the 6'06 AI sounds interesting, what kind of velocities were you getting out of it? and thanks again for the input Kirby. I figure you may as well be in the loop since you will probably end up building the thing!
later
Dan

Dan,

Performance of the 6-06 AI will run at least 100 fps over the standard 6-06 in most rifles. I say this because the 6-06 AI I just finished building is just getting into the serious load work up stage and this is what my customer is seeing.

In a 28" barrel you would be able to get the following performance out of a standard 6-06 on averge:

55 gr.........4300 fps
70 gr.........3900-4000 fps
100 gr........3450 fps

Remember that with these big cases, the lighter bullets will preduce less of a velocity advantage then the heavier bullets will. With a 100 gr pill in a 6-60 AI I would not be suprised to see 3550 fps or maybe a bit more in a 28" barrel.

With the heavier 110-120 gr pills I can not offer you any predictions as I have not tested them in any chambering to have a reference to offer.

I will say that they will gain more FPS with these heavy pills over the lighter 100 gr versions so they will work even better in the end with the heavier bullets. Will also produce more consistant results as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Depends what you want it for?

for little furry critters, and low volume shooting, the 6-284 and 105amax would be tough to beat.

for higher volume, 6br/dasher and same bullet.

Hoping to test richards new bullets as well...though mine will be in the 105gn range for a straight 6mmbr

BTW -- you can hit the correct link in my sig line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Hi Daniel,
I have a 243 Ackley and its a peach, but in my opinion the most well balanced 6mm hottie is the 6mm Rem Ackley.
With the correct twist, throating and a suitable bullet it will easily make 1000yrds and be a great killer.
The only downside is the non-availability of quality brass, although many shooters form their cases from Norma or RWS 7x57 brass.
This the only reason why i have a 243AI instead of a 6mmAI.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Dump the Rockchucker, too much for .243 bore size and nothing but hassles making brass.

I agree with Jb, go with the 6br.

Yesterday, I was out hunting p-dogs in THE hottest town I have ever shot in. The action was blistering for 10 hours straight and we splattered about 80-90 pdogs. We could have gotten more but we had to keep waiting for the barrels on our 8 guns to cool down. We knew it was going to be fast paced action and we knew the temp was going to be 90 degrees, so we left the 6mm-284 and the 6.5-284 home. Truth be told, anything burning more than 45 grains of powder in that situation would have been an absolute waste of barrel steel. In high volume shooting, small case capacities are king, and small capacities teamed with high bc bullets are even mightier.

I was able to shoot at pdogs with high order effeciency out to 900 yards (could have even gone further if the town was long enough) with my 6br improved fast twist and only burn 30.5 grains of powder. I could shoot 3 times as many rounds before cooling than the 22-250 AI or swift could shoot and it was actually easier to connect on the long dogs with it because of the .524 bc of the 95 grain Berger VLD bullet.

All in all, if I was going to go back to shooting pdogs mainly instead of rockchucks, I would build 4 or 5 6br's in an 8 twist and alternate them when the action gets fast.

Now for rockchucks, the air is usually 30 degrees cooler and the shooting isn't quite as fast paced because of lesser targets so the 6-284 works great. So basically, you have to know your style of hunting and what kind of targets you'll be shooting to let you make the best choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GoodGrouper,
this rifle will be for some benchrest shooting and long range deer hunting(deer in these parts average around 150lbs) thus the reason for wanting alot of case and a very heavy bullet, i have a place to hunt where i can shoot about 1300yds, and afew others i have yet to range but im fairly sure are 1k+.I dont varmint hunt much as the groundhogs are pretty scarce, and plus i have a 77V Swift for that. i might try hunting some 'yotes with afew friends, but that'd be about it. i want a gun i can shoot fairly long with and not have to worry about the wind as much as i do with my standard .243 w/100gr SBTs(the biggest bullet ive got it to shoot well) and not have the unpleasant recoil of my BDL 7mm or 35 Whelen. and since i hunt from stands or benches most of the time i can stand to use a pretty heavy rifle, so i figure why not build a bench gun that i can shoot matches and stuff with too? and obviously im kinda hooked on 6mm, and a big fan of the '06 case, so i thought id combine the two. Everyone ive talked to that had any variation of the 6mm-'06 has been very happy with theirs.
thanks for the input and good luck shooting,
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.