608 Yard Colorado Bull 6.5 CM 123 Absolute Hammer

First he didn't hit the gong once. He spent a good amount of time shooting once at the ranch also. He had a full week before his hunt. So he shot out past that but was able to consistently hit the 6" at 600 with no
Misses.
Second I know it's on the lower end but it seems that the min FPS is a pretty good judge based on This and several other times. He was able to place it exactly where it needed to be and it had a full pass. I'd say that it was fine. Best for situation no of course not but when that's all he had in that situation is take it.
Again he is the type of guy that if he didn't feel very confident he could keep off the shoulder he would not have taken it.
He will indeed have a 30 Sherman next year.
This wasn't to be snarky either I do agree big is better especially if any wind is present. Just wanted to make sure the fact where out. Because I 100 percent agree hitting a gong 1-2 times is not ok.
He left with a bunch of ammo just so he could practice and double check everything at given elevation and at farther distance
I'm still a bit skeptical of the whole story! In order for me to validate the success of the hunt I will need your dad's friend to cold pack and NDA me 5# of elk loin and a couple really nice steaks! I think that is a reasonable request since I do not see a man bun in the picture which makes me question the caliber used.

Awesome bull! Perfect shot! Put a good size hole thru vitals and they die. EVERYONE will shoot a lighter recoiling rifle better than a harder one...EVERYONE. Placement is EVERYTHING and bullets matter far more than headstamps. Nice work. Go to a 140 ELDm and kill the next one at 800.
I actually used the eld before the hammer but if I use both and run the numbers they are within a few yards of each other when hitting min FPS for the bullet. Off the top of my head it was less than 50 yards. Eld hit 1843fps at 600 and is below that at 650. I think that also the min FPS for that bullet but it's been along time

Gday snox
Please send my congrats
I'm warming to the 6.5 more & this thread helps me understand a little more on what /where we are going to push the 6.5 into once the time comes

I may have missed it so apologies in advance if I have with the following

On the entrance was bone encountered & do you see the absolute open a little quicker than the hh line on average ( creates a slightly larger initial permanent wound )

Keep up the great work
Cheers

I can't recall if a rib was hit or not. Definitely no shoulder. As for the absolute versa hunter. I've seen no real difference between the two as far as how they open. Usually get a finger size entrance and a 1.5" exit.
Every now and again it will be bigger or just finger sized exit but for the most part all very similar.

1. CONGRATULATIONS! - that is an awesome bull and shot!
2. Apologies that the round used is so controversial - but Elk will never know the difference.;)
3.For those who are not "triggered" by the thought of something 6.5 caliber.....the PRC is like a CM on steroids - and just a fun round to shoot.
4.I am trying to grasp how the bullet passed thru @ 608 yds. I killed a nice 6x5 bull @ 212 yds with a Hornaday 147 ELD-M ( NOT the "X" - this is a "match" design...)in a 6.5 PRC - which the cartridge is a .300 WSM IIRC.... ( factory Hornaday load) and the bullet was recovered under the hide on the far side of the bull. Looked like an old Black Talon round. This was a classic full broadside, double lung shot.
5.This was my guide's rifle ( WASA Outfitters - Clayton NM ) - and was convincing enough that I am having one built for me by In Rut Rifles - Sioux Fall SD - as a LH, 7-1/2 twist for shooting 156 EOLs and others.
6. So - I am NOT looking to fuel an argument....just trying to understand how more powder, and at approx. 1/4 the distance - allowed the bullet recovery as above whereas a similar weight bullet, with much less powder - traveled an additional 600 yards and passed thru a similar animal. Again - NOT arguing....just trying to grasp/learn.

Probably your bullet opened up completely at that distance. I bet the the 608 yard shot had pulled back less and not had the same frontal diameter slowing thing down. This is also why Berger's are/can be so effective at long ranges and tend to explode or fragment at close ranges so much. Once the speed drops and the energy drops down the bullets don't open as much and will/can pernitrate deeper or have a pass through at long ranges. Years past this is the same reason a match bullet like a ELD-M or an old school AMAX can be really lethal at 800yards plus. This is also why you don't really shoot some of the supper tough all copper bullets like barns at super long ranges. Hornady specifies 2000fps on the CX bullets which limit the distance. but they are very effective inside the velocity specifications. These bullets want open at slower velocities. Even though they are a bonded bullet and hard to tune the ABLR's are supposed to work/open down to 1300fps. In gel test they do open a "little" at that velocity but its not a lot. If I was to take a shot at that low of velocity with them it would be dead smack center shoulder or just above for the high shoulder shot to hit bone. From what the internet gel testers show on average the ABLR do pretty good at minimum 1500fps. They can sometimes loose a pedestal inside normal velocities like shooting something inside 100 to 200 yards. I just watched Barbourcreek guys do a extended range (may have been 600) gel test on a HH bullet the other day. It worked pretty darn good. 2 pedals broke off and the rest penetrated through the 26 inch gel block. Gel block may have been 26 or 24 not exactly sure but it went through and had good internal gel damage. The gel block was dead on impact. Ha. But all kidding aside the dude made a great shot and the bullet worked just as it should have. Just goes to show those large animals don't wear bullet proof vest. Some where there is i believe a Long Range pursuit vid with a guy taking a Bull Moose at 600 plus with a 6.5X284 Norma. First shot locked the moose up and the second put him down completely. Both were right in the crease I believe with a 140 Berger. I dont think they had pass through but still 140grn 6.5 cal bullet. Here is another 6.5 creed at 600 yards. The second is a 243 at 688 yards.