600yrd shot in sub-zero temperature, with my 28 Nosler

Was it a hang fire that occurred? I've heard of slow firing pin travel with cold weather if there was any grease or oil that was in the bolt body. If that was the case you coukd have been totally off the target when the gun actually went off
Deffinately wasn't a hang fire. Went off immediately. It just sounded different

Update. Took the rifle out today with two shots left with that load. Was still on zero at 100 yards. Second shot was at 600 with no impact anywhere in my scope! At 18 power i can see about ten feet around the steel i was shooting at. Didnt hear the thump of steel or see a dirt splash... what the heck is going on? Again it's a 143 hammer hunter so I dont think it is coming apart. Maybe tumbling somewhere after 100 yards? Again I'm baffled

I don't think this may be your problem, since you are not running cup and core bullets, but I watched and listen to Barbour Creek Shooting Academy talking about bullet disintegrate. This is what he had mentioned, muzzle velocity x 720 / twist if you are over 300,000, then you are looking at your bullet separating and disintegrating with cup and core bullets, but with Hammer I don't know if that would happen.

I don't think this may be your problem, since you are not running cup and core bullets, but I watched and listen to Barbour Creek Shooting Academy talking about bullet disintegrate. This is what he had mentioned, muzzle velocity x 720 / twist if you are over 300,000, then you are looking at your bullet separating and disintegrating with cup and core bullets, but with Hammer I don't know if that would happen.
I was thinking the same thing. With a solid copper bullet it shouldn't disintegrate but maybe a section of the tip? I was thinking tumbling is more likely. I just dont see how it could be tumbling so soon if it's stabilized to start off with. It's going 3500fps out of a 9 twist barrel. I got 280,000 according to that equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.