6.5x57mm AI question

pretty stock -- did he do that too? Is it laminated pistol grip and cheekpiece on original military stock? Well done.
Yes he did. Dad was a Master Machinist so his metal work was 2nd to none. His wood working though, early on, not so much. I have an old Rem 722 that looks lie a frankenrifle, you can see where he glued pieces of wood on and the hand checkering was rough.

However he progressed to be one of the best woodworkers I've known. As he was working on projects he would save any scraps that were big enough to incorporate into a stock, specially if it had pretty grain. You can't really see in the picture but the cheek piece and the pistol grip are pegged into the military stock. He was experimenting with stock design basically with every M98 he built. He tried several different ways to bed the barrel, as an example.

I have an almost twin to this one, it's a VZ-24 in a 7x57. Very similar design but with more dark wood.

I just got my 6.5x57 AI die set from CH Tool and Die, they had them in stock. It's a standard 2 die set and the machine work looks as good as any other dies I have.

I'll be fireforming some of the factory brass later this week so I'll be able to try them out.

Cost was $116 plus $14 shipping, not a bad deal for something that would usually needs to be custom made.