6.5x55 velocity reality.

Mancill

I have a tikka 6.5x55 and am loading the 143 eldx. Right now I am getting great groups with 44 gn of 4350. However my velocity out of the 23 inch barrel is only 2600 fps. What is the real upper limit of my loading and velocity? All info I can find seems to be the don't sue me data from the manufacturers. Thanks.

with H-4831sc and IMR 7828, my father is getting 2900 fps + with 140 Berger Hybrids and a 24" barrel. You are most likely using data made to be safe in the single lug military rifles. I believe his load with IMR 7828 is 50-51 grains, maybe a bit more. But I know its over 50 grains.

Just work up carefully till you start to see pressure signs, you will get good results.

My father topped out at 2970 fps with 140's before he saw pressure signs, and with the 127's I believe he got to 3100 before pressure.

This is built on an old 98 Mauser action that used to be an 8mm mauser.

Modern Swede load data from Vihtavuori and Realguns.

6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

Real Guns - Modern Loads for the 6.5x55 Swedish

I have built and loaded for the 6.5x55 Swede for years. You can go for velocity above 2800fps with 140gr bullets and a 23" barrel but I can almost guarantee you that it will not be where you find the best accuracy. In fact it will most likely not be a rewarding experience and may end up being dangerous to your well being. Be careful using data from another persons rifle.

I'm shooting a berger 140 vld at 2800' sec. With 4831sc, lapua brass, fed 210m out of a 24" benchmark barrel. I started with bergers data and work up till I seen the first signs of pressure at 2950' sec. 2800' was where I seen the best accuracy and should be easy on brass. I tried h4350 and pressured out about way early velocity wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.