6.5x284 Rem SA options

rcdinaz

I am sure this has been discussed but I am looking for options.

I had a 6.5x284 built on a Rem SA (I know, I know). I thought I would be fine using this with my daughters as a single shot even for hunting. Well using 140gr Berger, or LR Accubonds is more of a chore than I thought. The rifle turned out fantastic but it is driving me nuts toying with the 140's. Looking for advice on options.

Will a Wyatt box get me to a COAL that I can use 140's? (I have read no)
Should I buy a LA and and swap the brand new barrel?
Buy a new barrel and change the caliber? Caliber recommendations?

Either of the last two options I guess I end up with two rifles. :rolleyes: :D

I am looking at purchasing a Manners or Edge stock but need advice picking a direction before I order anything else for this project.

Thanks for any input!

Ejrcting the loaded +3.1" 140VLD is the issue with the SA. Having been a dye hard 6.5x284 fanatic for years my vote would be to swap ,or acquire another long action and live happily ever after.....

Yep,, the 6.5 x 284 is a LA cartridge. Using a SA will only cause you unecessary problems. If a SA is used and the throat set so that you can engage or come close to the rifling, you might as well be shooting a 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Rem.

Thanks for the replies!

So I will start shopping for a LA. Now I guess I have the excuse for 2 rifles. I am thinking a 260 rem on the SA for a light mountain rifle. All I need is a barrel for that one to be complete.

rcdinaz,

Actually, the 6.5 x 284 is an intermediate length cartridge much like the 6mm Remington, 7 x 57 Mauser and the 8 x 57 Mauser. The problem has been finding an intermediate length action such as the older, original military Mausers but of modern manufacture.

I personally would skip the long action and call Defiance Machine to order a Rebel XM action. This is a true modern manufactured intermediate length action with matched bottom metal. The OAL is 3.2" which is just a tad more than you need but it isn't the 3.340" or 3.6" of the long actions.No muss, no fuss, no mess...

Regards.

rcdinaz,

Actually, the 6.5 x 284 is an intermediate length cartridge much like the 6mm Remington, 7 x 57 Mauser and the 8 x 57 Mauser. The problem has been finding an intermediate length action such as the older, original military Mausers but of modern manufacture.

I personally would skip the long action and call Defiance Machine to order a Rebel XM action. This is a true modern manufactured intermediate length action with matched bottom metal. The OAL is 3.2" which is just a tad more than you need but it isn't the 3.340" or 3.6" of the long actions.No muss, no fuss, no mess...

Regards.
#1 98%-95% who read these threads will cringe at the price of the Defiance action. #2 they will cringe when they find out that there's not a 'drop-in' stock for that Defiance action. A LA Remington 700 poses no feed issues with the .284 case, even though the magazine is much longer than needed.

shortgrass,

I was under the impression that most of these forums were about passing along information which might not be common knowledge. In essence, expanding the knowledge base for all the members who choose to read the responses, not just accepting and settling for the same old solutions.

#1 98%-95% who read these threads will cringe at the price of the Defiance action.

Two things:

By your assumption this still leaves 2 - 5% of the members who will not 'cringe' at the cost of a Defiance action. Now, 2% of 90,000 is 1,800 members who might consider this as good information which helped them make a good decision even considering the price of the action.

Find the thread about the 'new' Curtis/Russo action and tell me how many folks are disillusioned about this action because of the price. Most of the comments I read were very positive both about the action itself and the price.

#2 they will cringe when they find out that there's not a 'drop-in' stock for that Defiance action.

and

I am looking at purchasing a Manners or Edge stock but need advice picking a direction before I order anything else for this project.

Thank God we have custom stockmakers and custom gunsmiths. If some shrink away from the concept of building a better rifle than what is available off the shelf or even 'drop-in' as you suggest then so be it. But in my business, we are thriving because of the folks who desire to have something different and something they can call their own which they had a hand in designing, which is suited to solving the problem.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.