6.5x284 reloading questions

Shydog

I recently purchased a Cooper m52 Excalibur chambered in the 6.5x284 in hopes of a great long range coyote gun while still being light enough to hoof hills. Any info on long range hunting loads would be much appreciated. I have purchased 120 nosler ballistic tips but have not started loading them yet. Starting to lean towards a heavier bullet with a better BC. Just wondering what would be the best route as far as bullet or complete load.

Shydog,
Welcome to LR Hunting. I think you have yourself a fine LR coyote rifle.

I shot the 120gn NBT ahead of 58.5gn of RL25 ignited by the CCI BR2. I'm shooting a stock Savage 12 (Long action) that started life as a model BVSS and I later changed the stock to a VLP. All that to say my OAL is 2.5490" and this is .010" off the LaG's. This load had low ES and SD in my rifle and averaged 3225fps and .3445" @ 100yds. I shot this load out to 500yds and it was extremely accurate, turning out groups under 2". It was also hell on the Georgia whitetail's and one big hog.

I have since moved on to the 140gn A-Max, 59.0gn of Retumbo and the BR2. 2.5550" OAL. Velocity averages 3038fps and accuracy was literally one-hole. Five shot groups run 1/2 MOA at 700yds. This load puts the smack down on deer. One shot, DRT.

Work in to these loads and good shooting. JohnnyK.

Welcome to LR Hunting.

120gn NBT, RL25, 58.5gn, CCI BR2. 3225fps and .3445" at 100yds. Sub 1/2 MOA @ 500yds.

140gn A-Max, Retumbe, 59.0gn, CCI BR2. 3038fps and Sub 1/2 MOA as far as you can shoot it. Both loads are helll on whitetails, so they should suffice for coyote. Good shooting. JohnnyK.

I am getting my 6.5X284 in a couple of weeks and looking forward to shooting it. I will be using Hodgdon Hybird 100V and Lapua brass and Federal 210 primers and Berger 140 VLD bullets. I could not find any Hodgdon 4831SC so that is why I am using Hybird 100V. Will let you know what I get in a while with this load. Here is picture of my new gun. It is the MOA Eveloution Extreme Long Range Hunter

Attachments

• 6.5X284.jpg
    6.5X284.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 74
Sorry about the repeat. I got a Server 404 Error when I hit "Submit Reply" on the first one. I figured it didn't go, it was late and instead of saying the heck with it, I typed up a short version. Blame it on Obama"not"care. :) JohnnyK.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will go ahead and try the noslers since I have them and I will now try to find some a max bullets also...I am having problems finding Berger Hunting bullets in the 140 grain, same with Sierra.

I shoot the hybrid 100V in my 6.5, It has a 24 inch barrel, savage 116 stock rifle. It holds 1/2 MOA out to 600 yards. I get 2844 FPS on 49.5 grains, .100 from the lans. 140 grn berger. Also one thing beware the 100V Is not temp stable. Its good for about 20 degree range as so it seem to me. I developed my load in the winter/into the spring during the cool 40 to 50 degree days. Shot during the summer and I had stiff bolt lift and about 100fps change in volicity with case marking. But it does work for the temps I developed it in and for hunting season.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.