6.5 SAUM BUILD ACTION ??s

kbuehner

I have a 6.5 Rem Mag built on a 98 Mauser action That is shot out. Im wondering if I could turn that into the 6.5 GAP or Saum not sure of the terminology the action is in very good shape Original Mauser. If it would work can I expect accuracy with the Mauser?

Also I have an old Sako L61r No. 1 3872 thats the numbers on the action chambered in 264 win mag Could that action be used for same build

Thanks

What about the increased size of the case and the decreasing amount of steel surrounding said case. Especially the vintage steel of a M-98 and presumable high pressure loads?

I'd build another 6.5 Remington Magnum if you are staying with .264.

Last edited:
I've got a few M98"s that I have sporterized, and as long as you don't load them to unreasonable pressures you will be fine especially if its an original mauser. I mostly use VZ24's and have no issues but I use common sense in my handloading.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to stick with the 6.5 rem mag since I have dies and a pretty good pile of brass and the more I read it seems the 6.5 rem mag will do real close to the same as the 6.5 saum. Also I will look into the firing pin upgrade. I got a Brux #4 1:8 twist to finish at 26"

If anybody knows a smith that has experience chambering for this round I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.