6.5 remington magnum

ann brezinski

any of you shoot or have shot one.found a nice one for sell .was thinking of adding it to my hunting rifle colection for grandson to hunt deer with,its a 660 remington. at 900.00 $.what are your thoughts on the cartrige its self.
thanks gary b

It's a good cartridge and was one of the first short action magnums. Though it's a good round, it's becoming harder and harder to obtain brass and ammunition for it. I'd suggest possibly getting your grandson a rifle chambered in a more modern and available cartridge that he will be able to get ammo and components for in the future.

I love the 6.5 rem mag, I have a 700 in that caliber and like the others have pointed out it was the one of the first short mags. A sweet little round that is awesome deer round. However if you want the 660
For your collection then by all means buy it. If you just want a deer rifle for your grandson I would choose a different round. It's hard to find brass and the slow twist keep your choices in the 120 grain bullet range. I found a fellow LRH site member Who hooked me up with some I fired brass at a good price. If you make the purchase and need a source PM me , I'll put you in touch. BTW love those little 600's and 660's , cool rifles.

I had a 40X re-barrelled with a 1-8 twist SS Remington Contour E.R. Shaw barrel. I had procured 1,000 cases on a run of Remington brass a few years ago. Barrel shot very well with 140 gr Nosler OTM. Barrel lasted 2,200 rounds. Great very under appreciated caliber. Just had another rifle built in this caliber.

Graff & Sons has brass in stock.

Good Luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.