6.5 PRC Loads

gpo1956

I'm looking at downsizing my rifles and need a little advice. I'm an experienced reloader for many years, but have no experience with the 6.5 PRC. I'd like to load to normal velocities for deer hunting to long range, but download some for normal range and long range plinking for avoid wear and tear on me and the barrel. Are there any problems to downloading this round to 140 gr bullets to high 2800-mid 2900 levels?

There is simply no avoiding wear and tear on chambers. Barrels are wear items and we just have deal with it. They do last lots of shots if we treat them right. Now there is better starting data as opposed to a year and a half ago, you'll burn less finding a load for the 6.5 PRC than I did.

From my original ogive measures I've used up around .005 of my chamber when I recheck bullets.

I've fired about 450-500 rounds through the barrel in that span. It's hunting rifle so slow bench shooting for loads and scope setups were the main.

I'd say worrying about barrel wear on this little fat cartridge is a none issue. Just build gun and get after. It's a sweet low recoiling long flying setup.

If want a plinker just build 6.5 Creed with a similar stock and trigger and shoot your hunter less.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts