6.5 Grendel AR

Trnelson

Just ordered a 20" barreled 6.5 Grendel AR 15 upper. Barrel is 1 in 9 twist. I'm interested in 120g bullets, I'll use it on deer out to maybe 300 yards. Thoughts on powders, bullets, brass.

Don't know much about the 6.5 Grendel, but try out some 123gr A-MAXs. They are better than the 120 A-MAXs because the 123gr has a higher BC of .510 and the 120gr is only .465 which is a big difference for only 3grs. You will probably get equal or better velocities with the 123gr compared to the 120gr because the 123 has a shorter bearing service.

bullets for hunting, Barnes 120 grain TSX,TTSX, etc. or Hornady SST 123's

Powder, XBR8208 seems to be all the rage and well deserved.

Brass, Any you can get your mitts on. It fetches ridiculous prices, Better off just to buy factory Hornady 123 SST's or A-max ammunition and have some fun making piles or brass.

The Grendel is a fantastic little round, Just plain fun!

I shoot a Precision AR 24" bbl.....use almost exclusively 123 gr AMAX, 7 1/2 rem primers, and CFE223 powder. Great little round and good on coyotes to 600yds!!

I managed to get 100 pieces of hornady brass, 107g Sierra MK, Lapua 123g and 139g Scenars, Berger 130g hunting for bullets to try out. I have BL-C2, R15 to try at first. I am looking for the XBR8208 and fully intend to run some of that.
Still waiting for my bolt and BCG from Alexander Arms...

I have a reloading book for 6,5 Grendel, but I am on vacation now. I will be home in 5 days, and I can send you some data...

Trazman, curious, is that a two volume book? I also need some help! The factory 123 A MAXs shoot fantastic in my AR and I'm trying to duplicate the speed and hopefully, the pressures.

I also have a 20" barreled 6.5. It is a Shilen 1-9". I have been using Lapua brass with both H335 and 8208XBR with 7 1/2BR primers. So far only shooting the 123SST. 8208 seems to be the best in my gun, cut the ES and SD in half compared to the H335. Wish I would have bought more when I had the chance!
Just got started with it this spring so don't how it will perform on game.

I shoot a Precision AR 24" bbl.....use almost exclusively 123 gr AMAX, 7 1/2 rem primers, and CFE223 powder. Great little round and good on coyotes to 600yds!!

The 6.5 Grendel has started to interest me as a good candidate for a 24" barrel AR build. I saw this is what your setup is and was wondering what velocities you are getting with the 123 A-MAX. Thanks

Trazman, curious, is that a two volume book? I also need some help! The factory 123 A MAXs shoot fantastic in my AR and I'm trying to duplicate the speed and hopefully, the pressures.

Hey woodnut, it is a two volume book, mine is volume 2. The authors are Joseph a. Smith, Paul Scott and Gregory Luli with introduction by Robert J. Stokes. Robert Stokes gavee the book to me as a present. I really like it and I suggest it to everyone who is reloading for 6.5 Grendel.

I managed to get 100 pieces of hornady brass, 107g Sierra MK, Lapua 123g and 139g Scenars, Berger 130g hunting for bullets to try out. I have BL-C2, R15 to try at first. I am looking for the XBR8208 and fully intend to run some of that.
Still waiting for my bolt and BCG from Alexander Arms...

I can help for your powders like this:
123gr hornady amax xbr8208 28.5gr MAX
100gr hornady amax rl15 30gr MAX

For RL15 this is the only data, for BL-C2 there is no data, for xbr8208 there is a lot of data, but the one that I wrote matches your bullet weight.

I hope this helps.
Tomaž

Jud96, you should be looking for 2540 fps with the 123 A MAX. That 's what my 24" barrel gets from factory ammo and they shoot REALLY good!
I'm now working up a load with AR COMP and am an optimist thinking I can get to that velocity without pressures. Wish me good luck! I'm using that powder as I can't get my hands on 8208..and my 2520 load is temp. sensitive. A good powder, but temp. sensitive.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.