6.5 creedmoor????

MAHMOODB

Hi. I am interested in buying a 6.5 creedmoor for longrange hunting as well as long range shooting. What are ur thoughts n what bullets would you recommend. I prefer the lighter bullets. All advice will be greatly appreciated

The 6.5CM does a dandy job killing paper targets,pronghorn antelope and deer. The Hornady A-Max bullets (according to Hornady) are meant for target shooting. Hornady's GMX and SST are meant for taking game. You'll have to find out what shoots best in your rifle. Just about all ammo manufacturers make 6.5mm bullets. Go with who's shoot best in your rifle. If you reload, there are plenty of recipes online and in recently issued loading manuals.

This is a long range hunting site so the long high BC bullets tend to be favored - like the 140 grain Berger VLDs for example however there is nothing wrong with lighter bullets though I do admit I tend to load the high BC stuff. I have a couple of 6.5 mm rifles (260 Rem, 26 Nosler). I use the 140 grain Hornady AMAX as my target load in the 260, I also load the 95 grain VMAX for the occasional varmit/plinking. For hunting I like tough bullets but still want all the BC I can get so load the 127 grain Barnes LRX. I'm running that bullet at 3,450 fps out of the 26 Nosler and 2,750 fps out of the 260 Rem. Obviously I'm getting a bit more range out of the Nosler.

Let me mention a short tale regards short bullets. I wanted to test a scope on my 7mm WSM but didn't want to use up my 180 Begers which are kind of scarce right now. I noticed that I had 20 each 140 grain Nosler Partitions that were pulled out of a box of ammo that was bought by a friend just to get the brass. I grabbed those and some H4831SC which I have a lot of and threw together some loads. These bullets are relatively stubby flat based low BC bullets but... they grouped 0.098" at 100 yards. The rifle is a Savage 12FV that I stuck a Brux barrel on. It does 0.5 MOA with the Bergers but it has never done even close to 0.1". Needless to say I will be buying some more of those and I have a renewed interest in flat based bullets.

FB bullets normally shoot better than BTs in the short range. They would in long range too if not for low BC.
They just muzzle release cleaner.

For lighter bullets I would go 6.5x47L, which reaches every node with higher peak pressure(your friend for accuracy). Small primer Lapua brass.
For ~140gr bullets, I wouldn't go less capacity than 260AI.
So I guess I don't like the 6.5CM..

FB bullets normally shoot better than BTs in the short range. They would in long range too if not for low BC.

For lighter bullets I would go 6.5x47L, which reaches every node with higher peak pressure(your friend for accuracy). Small primer Lapua brass.
I can't get excited about the Creedmore, either. The field of cartridges in that general size was already well covered. The Creedmore is no more accurate than any of the others in its class. More depends on the quality of the barrel, the threading/chambering/crowning, bedding, trigger, ammo, and the ability of the shooter than what name the cartridge has and what hype it has received.

I agree on all points Mike, although I have a Creedmoor & am a fan. Is it any better than the others? No but, it has some inherent qualities. I like the idea of the x47 for the light bullets, good idea.

I am playing with the 136 Scenar L in my Creed. Why? Probably the same reason I went with the Creed over the 260; because it's something outside the mainstream, that's pretty important to me.

To the OP- My Creed loves the Factory Hornady 120grn Match loads. With many groups in the .3's & .4's it shows a definite preference for the 120 A-max load over the 140's i've tried (factory vs factory). The problem with going to the light bullets is you (IMHO) are negating the purpose of selecting the 6.5. The heavier High BC bullets that have stormed the shooting world as well as inherently high Sectional Density offered by the higher weight without the excessive recoil of the higher caliber rounds.

t

I look at it a bit different than a caliber only question. I think bit different style of rifle can be useful even if the caliber is identical.

I have a light sporter 6mm, and would like to add a 6.5 of one kind or another, but in more of a tactical style rifle.

If I had a varmint weight 6mm I'd look at a 6.5 in a light weight configuration.

I don't need any more. Matter of fact I either need more safe, or something has to go in order to fill a notch. Then again just losing some of the lesser quality arms and optics, and replacing them with better quality has merit also.

Hi. I am interested in buying a 6.5 creedmoor for long range hunting as well as long range shooting. What are ur thoughts n what bullets would you recommend. I prefer the lighter bullets. All advice will be greatly appreciated
I have a Ruger LRP. I loaded the 123 A Max with Superperformance my first groups out of the barrel I had a 1/2" group at 100 yards.

I think the creedmore is great when used correct. I shoot mine with the 124 hammer hunters. Out to 600 on game.
After than I think it's just to small and looses energy no matter what bullet.
So used within distance it's great. I have lots of rifle and it's my go to. I can practice farther out than that which makes my confidence high for 600 yards.

Hi. I am interested in buying a 6.5 creedmoor for longrange hunting as well as long range shooting. What are ur thoughts n what bullets would you recommend. I prefer the lighter bullets. All advice will be greatly appreciated

6.5 CREEDMOOR RIFLES

6.5 CREEDMOOR AMMO

Last edited:

Maybe this one.

The 6.5 Creedmoor MVP-LR's innovative magazine well accepts detachable box magazines in the DPMS LR-308, Armalite AR-10, and M14 patterns. Yes, this rifle will take a PMAG! The action is pillar bedded in an olive drab synthetic stock with a push-button, Mosscote-covered cheekrest and the trigger is the Mossberg LBA and is adjustable from 3 to 7 pounds. The barrel is threaded 5/8x24 for your favorite can or break and the thread protector is included.

VIDEO 1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.