6.5 Creedmoor Build

PureTexan

This subject has probably been best to death but I'm going to ask anyways.

I am in the market for a 6.5 CM. 800 yards max right now. My first option would be a Rem 700 action but since Remington doesn't build a 6.5 in a factory option, that's out. My next choice would be the Ruger Predator. This would be close to the perfect setup for me since my rifle is going to pull double duty as a long range target gun and also my hunting rifle. The only thing that bothers me about the Ruger is the integrated scope rings. I'm not sure if I can get the distance I want out of these and I'm not sure Ruger barrels can deliver the accuracy I want. Savage has some nice offerings but I've never owned a Savage and I'm not sure I would like the actions. I like the looks of the Savage FCP- SR but it's 308 only. I guess I could rebarrel to 6.5 CM but that's even more wait time. The Savage LRP would be a little to heavy for the hunting part but would work great for the target side of my plan.

Is there any rifles out there I'm missing? Any help would be great. I also have access to a reloader, so factory ammo is not the only option.

Another option is to buy all the components and build it yourself. I think you will happier in the long run. I just built my first rifle and will never buy another off-the-shelf rifle.

Attachments

• DSC00001 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00001 - Copy.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00003 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00003 - Copy.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 64
Thats a sharp looking stick, rcairflr. Is it chambered in 6.5 CM?

I am not against building my own, I just don't know what kind of special tools I would need. On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is it to piece together your own Savage? Thanks

This subject has probably been best to death but I'm going to ask anyways.

I am in the market for a 6.5 CM. 800 yards max right now. My first option would be a Rem 700 action but since Remington doesn't build a 6.5 in a factory option, that's out. My next choice would be the Ruger Predator. This would be close to the perfect setup for me since my rifle is going to pull double duty as a long range target gun and also my hunting rifle. The only thing that bothers me about the Ruger is the integrated scope rings. I'm not sure if I can get the distance I want out of these and I'm not sure Ruger barrels can deliver the accuracy I want. Savage has some nice offerings but I've never owned a Savage and I'm not sure I would like the actions. I like the looks of the Savage FCP- SR but it's 308 only. I guess I could rebarrel to 6.5 CM but that's even more wait time. The Savage LRP would be a little to heavy for the hunting part but would work great for the target side of my plan.

Is there any rifles out there I'm missing? Any help would be great. I also have access to a reloader, so factory ammo is not the only option.

There is nothing wrong with the Ruger predator barrel accuracy. I just bought one in the 6.5 Creedmoor and with 93 rounds down the tube im getting 1/2 -3/4 groups with a cheap 3-9 scope. Barrel still isnt even broke in all the way.

If I was in your place, maybe start with the Savage Predator, LRH, or model 16. Then upgrade as you need with stock or barrel. If you go with Remington, it will be semi-custom, read rebarrel minimum.

May want to wait until after Shot Show. I see Browning changed their website. Might be some Creedmoor news. But that might mean more wait.

Rcairfler, what stock is that. I just am building my first custom, I was think manners, and that looks like the stock I picked out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.