6.5-6mm Rem Ackley

Leathel

Well I never like to have a first post asking for advise....but here I am

I have been reading up on a few things and spend a bit to much time on the NZ site Fishnhunt:rolleyes: but I doubt I would get much on this call there

Does anyone one have one....What are dies you use....What speeds are you getting??

I have a reamer on the way to give it a wirl in a 1 in 8.5 target barrel for an easy shoot for when I don't want the fuss of my 300Rum

At this stage I have a bushing die that will do for neck sizing and can use a std seater and can use the reamer to make something to bump the shoulder back but is there better

I do have access to fired 6mm rem ackley brass that I was going to fill with resign and use for head space:rolleyes: (Typical Kiwi way)

I have the next closest thing. It is the 6.5X.257 Roberts Ackley. It has also been referred to as the .260AAR. (all around rifle)
Both the 6mm Rem and the .257 are based on the 57mm Mauser case.

It's a sweet shooter.
It won't quite keep up with the 6.5x.284, but it doesn't burn barrels as quickly either. I can still push a 140Amax ~3000fps.
My dies had to come from Graf&sons and they were Redding in the "custom" price range. $130US.
One point about the .257 Roberts case, is it is available from Winchester in the +P form. Supposedly with a thicker web/head area, and they seem to last, but then again all Ackley'ed cases seem too.

Good luck with yours!

I have the next closest thing. It is the 6.5X.257 Roberts Ackley. It has also been referred to as the .260AAR. (all around rifle)
Both the 6mm Rem and the .257 are based on the 57mm Mauser case.

It's a sweet shooter.
It won't quite keep up with the 6.5x.284, but it doesn't burn barrels as quickly either. I can still push a 140Amax ~3000fps.
My dies had to come from Graf&sons and they were Redding in the "custom" price range. $130US.
One point about the .257 Roberts case, is it is available from Winchester in the +P form. Supposedly with a thicker web/head area, and they seem to last, but then again all Ackley'ed cases seem too.

Good luck with yours!

Cheers for the reply

I have sussed a 6mm rem ackley body die and bushing die that I will ream the neck open on the body die and get the appropriate bush and have a std 6.5-284 die that I can use to seat :)

I love my .260AAR. No recoil, very accurate and and like Jamie said it treads closely on the 6.5-284.

Now have this rifle up and running, did a couple of groups form firing some 7mm mauser brass (picked up 120 once fired brass for NZ$20) and 2 of the four loads were good .442 and .456 @ 100 but slow....Still not bad for a budget build with an 98k action and used Target barrel done in my Panel shop on a 30yr old lathe:rolleyes:

Then did a few loads too find preasure, loaded from 47gr ADI AR2213SC (H4831) up to 54gr in .5gr steps at the upper end using a freinds load of 54gr for his 6.5-284 that he is getting 3015fps in a 30" barrel

Nice even gains in velocity as it went up and no stiff bolt even at the hottest load at 3006fps in my 27 1/2 barrel......measured the brass and no real preasure signs:cool:

I will get some loaded at the upper end to test groups again.....positive signs to date, Might have to find a modern action to build this on as I like the round and with its long neck should help seal the gases and have a better barrel life.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.