6mm Ackley Improved build

codyadams

I'm gonna be putting together (or rather, having a smith put together) a 6mm AI for a good friend of mine. The action is a Large Ring 98 Mauser, and he wants a hot long range varmint rig for prairie dogs up to coyotes, so I'm thinking a 6mm AI for its performance, and the long neck should help increase barrel life. He has a nicely built .264 win mag and a .338 win mag for medium and large game, so this will be a purpose built long range varmint gun. The purpose of this thread is for documentation, but I do enjoy input

I think we're going to go with a 1 in 8 twist to shoot the heavier bullets, most likely a Krieger heavy contour of some kind.

I see Bell and Carlson makes a varminter stock for a large ring 98, so I think that's about the best choice, unless someone else has a better suggestion????

The rifle already has a Timney trigger, so thats covered.

Currently the rifle has the factory 8mm barrel that had the steps turned down by the previous owner, not sure why, as those were designed to aid in harmonics...and it was rechambered to 8mm-06, which worked well as an elk rifle, but he has that department covered now and wants something different. I'll post pictures of the rifle as the build progresses

Unless you have the brass on hand you might have an issue. This stuff is very hard to find. I think this cartridge looks fantastic in the improved version. If you can get brass it will be a fun project.

I opted to own a reamer and have chambered for several 6mm-284s instead. Brass is available 6.5-284 brass in Norma and Lapua. No fire forming necessary. Just neck it down and go shooting.

243 brass is readily available too. No flies on a 243 AI either.

I built one on a Savage short action last year and love it, its also the 2nd most accurate rifle I own.
3380 fps with 105 vld out of 25" barrel aint bad !

He'll love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.