6.5-20 or 4.5-14

mrb1982

I am looking at a Leupold VX-3 for a 243 Remington VLS. I have the same scope in a 6.5-20 with a target dot on my 7 RM Sendero hunting rifle. I haven't had any problems in low light. Really like the scope. My question is, would I miss the 20x if I went to the 4.5-14? I am a big fan of the 6.5-20 bit if I could save a couple bucks it might be worth it. Probably also worth it to spend a couple extra if that is what would be better. This 243 will be a hunting rifle for anything from coyotes to deer mostly. Not enough prairie dogs to really be concerned about the optics for its applications. So your thoughts on magnification are my main question. Thanks.

4.5-14 would be fine I think. The lower range is nice for hunting and unless you're regularly firing it past 600yds, 14x is enough power on the top end

I think on a .243 I would go with the 4.5-14 as Canhunter said. A 4.5-14 power scope should work easily within the kill zone of a .243.

I agree with your thoughts. The only thing that veers me otherwise is sometimes I use my scope for a binocular for lack of better explanation. The added magnification helps sometimes.

As another random thought, the Vortex HS-T is intriguing. Turrets, 6-24x, side focus, descent price. Might have to do a little more research on them before I make a purchase.

A bino is 10x?

If ur getting good glass, it'll be very good and clear at 14x. Glass quality is the difference in what you can see not magnification.

That is pretty valid. I wii have to keep an eye out for something. Thanks for the input.

If you want the 4 1/2X and still have 20X you can get the Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50. I have three. They have better glass and are crystal clear at any magnification. They weigh 22 oz.

I will take a look at it to see what it is all about. I have high aspirations for this 243. It is a Remington VLS that I bedded and put a Jewel trigger in. The more I shoot it, the more the barrel is settling in and starting to shoot some pretty descent groups with factory ammo. I am prepping my brass and getting ready to roll out some 95VLD's for it.

I currently have a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 on it, the original Crossfire, that I have on it to see what the gun can do, then would like to put something nicer on it. I just don't want to underestimate what I want/need. For the money, this ole Crossfire is a pretty darn good scope, has elevated turrets and the whole deal on it. Half tempted to keep it on there, but like I said, would like to have something just a little bit nicer I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.