6.5/06 Load Data? Advice?

Howdy All . . .

I have 2 questions I'd like to toss to the group:

1. I've just built up a 6.5/06 -- Model 70 action, 26" Douglas bbl., 8 twist. Will be running 140 gr. Hornady A-Max and the 140 gr. SST. I have good optics and its purpose is long range hunting out to about 1000 yds.
I wonder what load/powder suggestions some of you riflemen may have?? ??

2. Would it be worth it to ream out to 6.5/06 Ackley Improved, or would the gain not be worth the trouble and expense?? ??

Much Thanks from the high Wyoming desert . . .

Western Rifleman

I don't have any rock solid experiance with the 6.5 but I do with the 6mm-06 and the 6mm-06Ai , the velocity gain with the ai over the standard case was almost nill but case life was extended a little bit and case trimming was few and far between , they both fed well in a rem 700LA.
I have a co-worker that shoots the 6.5-06 and I think his best powder is R-22 or IMR-4350 , if I'm not mistaken the
R-22 gave a little better speed and smaller ES numbers. his velocity out of a 26" Hart barrel is around 3100 fps and that thing just flattens out 150lb class deer out to 600yds.
Shoot it till accuracy goes away then rechamber to the Improved version. then you can post an honest to good ness compairson between the two velocity wise.

I have a 6.5 06 and I run the 140 gr Hornady a max at 3000 fps from a 27 inch barrle with 59 grs of H 1000. My overall length is 3.350" and the velocity varied from 2995 to 3007fps through 20 rounds. The gun was built by Shawn at Defensive Edge and lives up to the tradition of his work. This was a good load from the gun and did not show any pressure signs. At 60 grains there was a slight ejector mark and the primers were barely starting to flatten. The 59 gr load will shoot right at 3/4" at 300 yards with Shawn driving the gun and about 1.25 to 1.5 with me running it. I just think the wind wasn't blowing for Shawn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JD . . .

Much thanks for this ... good idea to shoot 'till throat gets alligator hide in the throat, then go to Ackley. I'll try Rel. 22 and H-100 for some experimentation.

Will report back. thanks again,

Western Rifleman

Glock Guy . . .

Much thanks for this heads up and feedback .. that is impressive stuff. For next rifle I'll be getting with Shawn at Defensive Edge, and I'll try H-1000 in my load work ups here. 3/4"@ 300 is IMPRESSIVE! :)

In today's world, one must remember that THESE ARE OUR "HOMELAND SECURITY" RIFLES!!

Much thanks and keep ur powder dry . . .

Western Rifleman

I haven't had a 6.5/06. But I've had 2 6.5/280 Ackleys. The first barrel shot 120 nosler BT's at 3395 with 61 gr of RL22, this was a 27" Krieger. The second barrel is a Pacnor 3 groove, and it shoots the same bullet at 3200 with 59 gr. of RL19. The second barrel showed a signifigant velocity loss with the same loads as compared to the Krieger, although accuracy with the Pacnor is somewhat improved. The throat in the Pacnor is disappearing fast, and I plan on trying some 140's in the near future. I have some 140 Amax and hope that my 9 twist will stabilize them in the big 6.5, but I'm not counting on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.