6-24X50 30mm scope - which one?

Ian, question again, first thanks for the response. But for a newbie, the more I read, the more confusing I get. Now I am interested in the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 but you mentioned that going from 40 to 50mm OBJ is not that advantages then why NXS with a 56mm OBJ? If I am willing to spend the money, is the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 much better (please excuse my over-generalization of the word "better", I am new to this field)than the IOR 6-24x50? consider there is a 33% price premium goingfrom IOR to NXS.

Also, Happy New Year everyone!
grin.gif

Feifer,
Good question. You could certainly do that and be happy. I just don't use my high range variables much on the highest power, matter of fact the Burris and Leupolds in the range you are talking are not currently on rifles. Only exception is a 5.5-22 NXS and it is on a 17 pound bench rifle and it is a sharp, bright scope at 22X but more $.

The lower range variables are smaller and lighter and really effective on my .223's. Guess this comes down to personal preference - if you really want a higher power range scope in 30mm with side paralax and 50mm objective then go for it. Sometimes we got to scratch an itch to feel good, right!

To better answer your question, I find that the image is brighter and seems sharper when I crank the big scopes down to midrange. That is usually 12-14 or so. Eye relief is definitely less critical. When I put the 14, 15, 16 power scopes on max they are sharp and bright -- just works that way for my eyes.

Just to muddy the water a bit more, I really doubt that the 50mm objective will give you much over the 40's in most light we shoot varmints and targets in.

Going to a 50 means higher rings and that can pose some headaches re stockfit and even scope-barrel clearance. I was told by someone I trust that one of the primary advantages of bigger lenses is that they can be ground with more precision so the image should be superior. Brightness is not near the factor that we expect since the light has to "squeeze" through a very small tube inside the scope before it gets to our eyeball.

Buying a scope is a big decision since we have expectations that we hope to meet. It is tough when you cannot directly compare models, some stores stock enough that we can hold X up to our eye for a few minutes and then try Y, but that is not a realistic way to access optics. We can get good input from experienced shooters but we must be aware of brand allegiance biases (no idea how to spell that word).

I happen to look at scopes from a somewhat different viewpoint today than I did several years ago. Optical qualities are important but I now put much more value on quality turrets than I used to since we use them so much in the LR shooting.

Good luck with your decision, this is what makes our sport fun. Best wishes for the holday season.

I have used them all,...and just received my IOR 6-24x50. I will say without any hesitation that this is one fine peice of equipment. My nod goes to the IOR,...super glass, great reticle (MP8) and turrets are sound to say the least.

I have both the IOR 6-24x50 and the NXS 5.5-22x56mm. If you can scratch up the money go with Nightforce! They aren't kidding when they say the tube is thicker than most scopes. It's one hefty piece of glass which will add considerable weight to your rig so expect that. Huge steel knobs that do not use covers, illuminated reticle, and more eye relief. (it makes my IOR feel like a toy)

I personally prefer the IOR MP-8 to the NP-R2, but to each his/her own as they are both very functional. (the Nightforce costs more but, you know exactly where the added money is going to.) Depending on rifles the Nightforce needs to sit up higher if you go with the big 56mm, most recommend the 50mm for this very reason.

Feifer,
Merry Christmas!
Enjoying the quiet time before the family arrives to open gifts and injest a turkey - thought I would try to answer your ?.

I do not know this for sure but expect the 56mm lens provided performance specs that the NXS designers wanted. The 5.5-22x56 is a very big scope, maybe too big to look appropriate on that rifle, not sure. Also look at the 3.5-15x50 (or 56mm if you like big lenses) NXS, it would be a superb scope for your rifle (there I go back to the 15 power scope - right...). NXS is significantly more money and it is significantly more scope, the performance is there to my eyes.

The NXS in 5.5-22 is a very good scope and several guys on this forum use it a lot. Same goes for the 3.5-15. My 4-16 Nikon gives the NXS a pretty good run in the field and is much cheaper. Same might go for IOR, have heard a lot of good stuff about them, hope to see them at the SHOT show.

I would contact Richard Near (www.nearmfg.com) for one of his bases, put the scope in Badger rings and you would be good to go with topend mounts for that Weatherby.

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

I am new to this site and would like to
say HELLO! to everyone..

This is my first time replying so I hope I get this right.As to your question on which scoe to buy,I'm only familiar with two of the brands mentioned.Leupold and Burris.As for Leupold,I have four with 30mm tubes and all with side focus.Once you use a scope with side focus you will not want it any other way. I have one 3.5x10x50 M1 ILL., two 6.5x20x50 Longrange and one 8.5x25x50 M1 tactical.I have some of these mounted on heavy hitters and have had no problems with any of them.All have mildot recticles but one.Glass in these scopes is second to none,as far as american scopes go. Images are crystal clear and paralax adjustment is perfect.Windage and elevation adjustments are exact and hold.I have yet to have one not hold zero.I only have experiance with the signature series in the Burris line.I have a new 6x24x50 Black Diamon side focus on order for a Remington I'm building for my stepson.Burris glass is good but not as good as the Leupold.I do believe 30mm tubes are stronger and would only mount them on guns that are going to be used hard or hit you hard!! I do believe any of the scopes you named will fit your needs it's just a matter of how much you want to spend.I don't know where you got those prices at but I have not paid near that for any of my Leupolds.My choice would have to be for Leupold. They make a great product and come with a great warranty and they're american made!!!That's just my opinion. Good luck with any you choose.

[ 12-25-2003: Message edited by: 338thunder ]

[ 12-25-2003: Message edited by: 338thunder ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.