50 Caliber Powerbelt ELR in Accura MR

I've heard that elsewhere as well. ELR's need a faster speed to expand properly. CVA designed this bullet around the Paramount rifle platform that can handle "magnum" loads of BH209 and produce muzzle velocities in the range of 2600 - 2800 fps. Coming out of a slower twist barrel at 1900 fps, effective range of the ELR may suffer a bit, for good bullet expansion anyway. Pass through's will still kill, but perhaps arguably not as efficiently. The feeling that I'm getting is the ELR needs about 1600 fps AT THE TARGET to expand well, and that's not very far down range if it's starts out at 1900... I have some and plan to try them out of my Accura V2 LR .45 with 1:22 twist. I have no doubt they will stabilize and shoot very accurately. But the terminal performance is my question...

The bullet I referenced was a 50 cal and there's zero chance you can run it anywhere near 2600-2800. Blackhorn load data shows a maximum of ~2100 for similar weight bullets. But I doubt most guns would eclipse 2000. Due to the weight of the bullet, it doesn't shed velocity as fast as a lightweight bullet.
The bullet was a complete disappointment from a terminal ballistics perspective (it also sucked on a mule deer the next day).

FWIW...The federal bor lock performed exactly as advertised for another hunter at camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.