50 Caliber Powerbelt ELR in Accura MR

General RE LEE

I ordered a pack of the 50 caliber Powerbelt ELRs to try in my CVA Accura MR. I know these were designed for the Paramounts but is anyone trying these higher BC conicals in their standard 50 caliber muzzleloaders?

Just got a pack of them in a couple days ago. Havent gotten to range yet. Dont see why they wouldnt work in the optima. Probably shoot a bit slower MV than in paramount. Probably 1900fps max or so.

Didnt notice they were for 1-24. Optima is 1-28. Will see how holes look on paper.....guess i will find out the hard way.

Shot about 3" out of a cva wolf today, didnt bring the optima. Shoots powerbelt platinum around an 1" consistently. Sounds like it depends on your barrel. Shot some 210 cutting edge maximus today (shot around 3" out of my optima), put 5 into approximately 1.25" at 100.

My Accura V2 loves them. Last group I shot was .44" at 100 yds., with open sights no less. That was the last three charges I had brought that day, and I haven't grouped it again. So, take that for what it's worth.

A friend's dad is also shooting a CVA Accura and his gun was also shooting them right under a minute.

Are you using Blackhorn? If so, how many grains by weight. I tried them in my Gunwerks mzl using their recommendation of 95 grains. They didn't shoot well .

Are you using Blackhorn? If so, how many grains by weight. I tried them in my Gunwerks mzl using their recommendation of 95 grains. They didn't shoot well .
Anyone one have a good BC for these in the 330 gr 50 cal's

my buddy shot an elk with these and they didn't open up. just passed clean thru. he had to shoot it again after waiting nearly 40 minutes. first shot was in the lungs, broadside under 100 yards.
they did group well.

jgal72-

If you were asking me, yes I am shooting Blackhorn. It's a a freckle over 120 grains by volume. If I remember right it's like 95 by weight. And I do weigh them.

Wolf76-

That is an interesting experience. I would like to hear more experiences like or not like this. Terminal performance is definitely going to have the final say for me.

my buddy shot an elk with these and they didn't open up. just passed clean thru. he had to shoot it again after waiting nearly 40 minutes. first shot was in the lungs, broadside under 100 yards.
they did group well.
I've heard that elsewhere as well. ELR's need a faster speed to expand properly. CVA designed this bullet around the Paramount rifle platform that can handle "magnum" loads of BH209 and produce muzzle velocities in the range of 2600 - 2800 fps. Coming out of a slower twist barrel at 1900 fps, effective range of the ELR may suffer a bit, for good bullet expansion anyway. Pass through's will still kill, but perhaps arguably not as efficiently. The feeling that I'm getting is the ELR needs about 1600 fps AT THE TARGET to expand well, and that's not very far down range if it's starts out at 1900... I have some and plan to try them out of my Accura V2 LR .45 with 1:22 twist. I have no doubt they will stabilize and shoot very accurately. But the terminal performance is my question...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts