.50 BMG Shooters

redneckclimbing

Does anyone here have the DEPTH of the bolt face on some different model .50's? What I am really trying to figure out is how far the cartridge case sticks out the rear of the barrel when chambered.

It doesn't have to be an exact number but down to the .00" at least would be nice. If anyone has a bolt action gun and could pull the bolt and just measure the DEPTH for me that would be great.

Thanks,

Travis

The bolt nose recess dimension won't tell you much. The distance the cartridge sticks out of the barrel or chamber is dependent on the action used. Some sit in a recess so the cartridge is near flush. Head space is still measured with gauges and a depth gauge. With a cone nose bolt you measure from the shoulder of the barrel to the bolt face and compare the shoulder to Go-Gauge to determine headspace.

What are you working on?

That is what I was trying to figure out. How much the cartridge stuck out the back of the barrel on some different actions with the .50 BMG. I thought no matter the action or depth of the bolt nose the space between the bolt and the back of the barrel is probably kept within .01? Therefor the bolt face depth dimension would get me close.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts