45 CALIBER ACURRA LR-X

Mallard Man

What grain by weight are you guys shooting? I shot the max 77 grains by weight and my gun is nothing less than horrible. I'm using the ELR CVA Bullet and having no luck. 4 inch groups at 100 yards and 15 inch groups at 200 yards not exactly what I was hoping for. Anyone know any secrets I'm missing?

What grain by weight are you guys shooting? I shot the max 77 grains by weight and my gun is nothing less than horrible. I'm using the ELR CVA Bullet and having no luck. 4 inch groups at 100 yards and 15 inch groups at 200 yards not exactly what I was hoping for. Anyone know any secrets I'm missing?
Assuming your talking about BH209, I think 84 gr by weight is max and = 120 gr by volume. With that said, I heard some not so good things about CVA 45 barrels recently, so you may have a bum barrel. Not my own experience, just what I've read, but steered me away for the time being. Good luck.

84 grains is the max for the 50 caliber and 77grains or 110 by volume is the maximum load for the 45 caliber according to the Manual. I finally got with Dennis at fury bullets and shot the .403 with the light blue harvester sabots and got it shooting pretty well.

You'll likely get increased velocity if you measure your BH by VOLUME. Now I imagine many are going nuts after that statement but, I'll explain.

It has always been suggested by Western to measure by volume. However, Western also gave a conversion number for those who wanted to weigh the propellant, which is .7.

Because of the cylinder size variation, BH varies in weight from lot to lot number. This has been known for well over a decade.

Examples ONLY. Take a 120gr VOLUME charge of lot#26 and weigh it and it could weigh 91grs average. Lot#27 could weigh an average of 82grs. Do the same for lot#29 and it weighs 96.1grs average.

So if you're weighing charges ONLY, you could very well be slighting yourself on velocity.

VOLUME IS VOLUME. Get a quality volume measure and set it at 120grs. Fill it with BH and tap if you like. VOLUME IS VOLUME. Do say a dozen of them and weigh each, then average those weights. Then.... use that average weight. Remember.......... any time you change lot numbers, repeat the process.

In the example above for lot#29, that is the weight of 120grs VOLUME, 96grs average. There are a few of us shooting a 1,000yd match next month and are using the same lot. 96grs is the average for each of us .

Recent Posts