45 caliber muzzloader

There's absolutely nothing special about those deer photos. I've seen the same damage created by a .50 round ball hitting the ribs, short of the punch remnants. The post indicates a 30yd harvest, where the bullet remains at its highest velocity. Not impressive and another attempt to make significant a PB's overall well known short comings.

At 200 or 225yds, things with that same bullet will most likely be completely different, which is what the OP is suggesting he may harvest. It'll have much less velocity and much less bullet energy, which is key to a quick clean harvest.

210 yards, exactly. It ain't a PB bullet.

I've shot deer dead at 8' (eight feet) and pulled the sabot out of them :D
Many serious shooter/hunters who want a bullet without a sabot, are using the Thor bullets, which I believe you started shooting also, or were at one time. It would have impressed me had you recommended the Thor to the OP. We can debate the bullet all night, which would just lead to me posting about 9,000+ links for bad reviews. How about we let the OP off on this.

Well we all know they do this at just 100yds.....

The absolute best use for them:

I could never recommend he shoot a Thor in his current set up. A 50cal slug would be a wee bit tight in a 45cal.lightbulb

Ah........ on the ball tonight. Thought I'd slip that right by you

I'd suggest he shoot what most of the precision .45cal guys are shooting, with suburb long rand accuracy and one of the most dependable bullets made.

Yes I'm a fan of the 45 cal M-L. With all this time before next Fall I'd be schooling up on Blackhorn 209 powder.

Don't be smitten with those scopes on the Wal-Mart shelf. How about a VX-3 2.5-8? I use a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest on my Knight.

Yes I'm a fan of the 45 cal M-L. With all this time before next Fall I'd be schooling up on Blackhorn 209 powder.

Don't be smitten with those scopes on the Wal-Mart shelf. How about a VX-3 2.5-8? I use a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest on my Knight.

I have a donor that will receive a makeover to a .45 Its my intent to put a Brux on it. :D

Interesting. I too have had no issues with closer shots on my .45 with Powerbelts but have herd enough negative reviews that I dont plan on buying any more of them. Looking at whats out there for a good all around bullet that slides easily down the barrel. Not sure if I can shoot BH with my Winchester X150. I will have to email CVA about that one. I do love the accuracy out of this rifle though. Time to make it better as I know plan on using it during the firearm season here in southern MN.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.