408 cheytac action

screech

Hey guys, Im planning on having a 338-408 built sometime and was thinking about maybe getting an action ordered. This is not an emidiate thing so the time frame really does not matter. SO what action would you guys use? I want to be able to extract a live round. I dont know if it really maters for the single shot vs repeater. It will probably have a barrel block because I plan on using a really meaty barrel. So really which one would be best for functionabillity etc. lawton, bat?

Screech,

Yes Dave is right, the M8000 receiver from Lawton is the one to choose. IT can also be used as a repeater with the addition of a magazine and custom bottom metal. Barney can fill you in on that.

If you get the M8000, be sure its the full length version as there is a M8000 S model as well. Yes, S stands for short. This one would need the bolt pulled to clear a live round but the full length M8000 has plenty of room with a conventional throat length.

Kirby Allen(50)

I also recomend the Lawton 8000 long action in either single shot or repeater.

Kirby would the 8000 take a modifire 50 cal case?

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill,

Do you mean 50 BMG case? If so, no, bolt body is not large enough in diameter. I will be reporting very soon on my 50 Allen Tactical that is based on the 408 CT case that we have spoken about already. If my predictions are right and so far they look to be on track, this round will **** near equal standard mil spec 50 BMG performance in a rifle that costs 2/3 as much and is 1/2 the weight.

Also will do this with around 80 grains less powder as well.

If you were interested in something like that, the M8000 would be perfect as you could eject even loaded rounds depending on what bullet you used. Richard makes a special, short baring surface 750 gr ULD RBBT that is shorter then the M33 ball projectile. BC is not what the match bullets are but this would be one hell of a big game bullet at moderate ranges, 1/2 mile or so!!

More to come on that but as far as the BMG on the M8000, not possible.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wild Bill

A 50cal BMG round needs a bolt body dia of at least .900" (rem 700 style action) and a full bolt style action needs a 1.250" dia. bolt body. The reciever needs to be at least 1.900" dia... length can vary greatly, you can make the action 12" long and have it eject loaded ammo, or make it 5" and have the Bull Pup style. Everything related to BMG is heavy. The 50-408 that Kirby is working on will present a rifle that can be easily carried for hunting. I would think in a 12-14# rifle there is going to be a "bit o' thunder" when its touched off. The 408C-T case is amazing as to what can be built from it.

Dave

I might have to look at the 50-408 improved or a similar case to get sompthing that is still practical to use. What ever it is it will have to be a repeater.

Cheers Bill
Australia

wildbill,

Depending on the total length of the cartridge a repeater may have to be a special length custom action. A 338-408 loaded case needs 4.200" for a magazine port. Have to ask Kirby how long the loaded 50-408 shells are.

I can build extra length actions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

Hi Dave your actions are awsome but what is the cost compared to a LAwton you do aswell have mags that will feed so their is also an option i would likelu place it onto one of the larger A5L's like the one in the post to me at the moment. I would likely use the 750GR A MAx or richards Wildcats in it as it will be a hunting rifle. Not 100% confirmed on the bore diameter i was even looking at shortening the BMG case and using a 375 projectile i could still do it in 375 with the 408 case if Richard Makes some large projectiles and also the Sierra in the Future.

Cheers Bill
Australia

wildbill,

Since i do not mass produce my actions they are more money than a Lawton. I haven't sold just a action, i use them for my custom rifle orders, can't get any built ahead. If you needed a special length action then i could build you one. A stainless action in 408 bolt face with magazine is 1500.00

The 375-408 is a very good caliber, Early results have been outstanding.

U can also take the 50 Spotter case and neck it down to 375 on up, i have a proto type i am looking to build, it has the 408cal bullet in it. It is very similar to the 416 Barrett round. Only draw back is you need a larger action and barrel. Case head is .800 dia, 408 case head is .635 dia. The 408 case will do almost anything the BMG case will do, less powder and smaller actions.

Dave

Wild Bill,

I have seated some 700 gr FMJBT Mil surplus bullets so the crimping groove is just ahead of the case mouth and the M8000 will eject these live rounds easily. I do not have a measurement as they are over in the shop currently.

The 750 gr A-Max will be significantly longer, probably by at least 0.500" and I am not sure if the M8000 will eject a live round nor feed these rounds. I will have to see where the OAL comes out to during load testing.

You could make the OAL much shorter by cutting the chamber with a very short throat but that would take up alot of case capacity with the large diameter bullet and relatively small diameter powder chamber.

I got some of Richard Graves short baring surface 750 gr ULD RBBT HPs to try. THey are a very short bullet designed for big game hunting with 50 cals and with the much shorter baring surface then a normal 50 cal if this weight, velocity should be much higher as well.

Also, the OAL of the round will be much shorter. BC is less though, no free lunches I supose!!

I would stay away from the shortened BMG necked down to 375, just more case capacity then you need for that bore. My 375 AM reamer should be here soon and in my opinion, that will be about the ultimate on the 408 case as far as velocity, energy and trajectory even compared to the 338 version. Only problem is available bullets, we need some heavies. In my opinion, Sierras proposed 375 gr 375 cal SMK is about 20 to 30 grains to light!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.