.408 Cheytac 400 grain bullet load

jbs2014

So I did some load development with 400 grain bullets and Retumbo. I went from 133-136 grains of powder. The ES on the 136 grain load was 13fps. I did not see any pressure signs and no bolt lift issues. I am told that 136 grains is too hot. Anyone have any experience loading 400 grain Bullets and Retumbo? Is this load too hot?

Primer is fed 215m

Thank you for your time

What brass you using? Your rifle/chamber and load will be different than others so let the rifle tell you what it wants. In the .408 I had, the Jamison brass wouldn't have made it to 136 grains of Retumbo without pressure signs (415 grain Cutting Edge MTH) and Bertram brass would take about 2 grains more.

Peterson brass.

Is it possible that I have a slow lot of Retumbo?

Thank you so much for the response

Don't have my data book, sold the rifle about two years back. Going off memory but I'd bet money it was 132 grains of Retumbo and 129 of RL-25 got 2900 +/- of few. RL-33 gave me that with a mild-ish load, ran it up to almost 3100 before pressure signs showed but accuracy was phenomenal @ the lower load.

Hi,

JBS...couple questions.

1. What chamber spec are you using?
2. What rifling profile are you using?
3. What muzzle brake are you using?

Sincerely,
Theis

Unfortunately I do not know, it's a Lawton, if that helps
It's not the lost river bore, so standard rifling
Standard Lawton muzzle break

It's an older gun, built in 2008.

Don't have my data book, sold the rifle about two years back. Going off memory but I'd bet money it was 132 grains of Retumbo and 129 of RL-25 got 2900 +/- of few. RL-33 gave me that with a mild-ish load, ran it up to almost 3100 before pressure signs showed but accuracy was phenomenal @ the lower load.
What barrel length did you have? What charge of RL 33 did you use?

I would advise to start about 140, I started at 136. I went up 1 grain at a time until I hit pressure then dropped several and started accuracy testing in reverse. Besides, at 140 grains each grain is way less than 1% charge weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts