408 chey tac loads

greggus

i cant find much info on these bad boys, but my main queeries are:

1. would it be considered safe to run 450/400nitro projectiles (measured to .408) down the tube (30" with a 1-12"rh twist)

and
2. what loads could be recommended with a 400gr projectile?
thanks

Greggus:

If the bullets are .408 dia then they are safe to shoot. I can emagine they have a very low BC, 125grns of RE-25 is a good load to start with. The 419 LRB or Barnes bullets like loads around 127grns, gives you around 2900fps.

Twist rates for the .408 CheyTac is 1x13"

The big blunt shaped bullets would be good for close in hunting. I took some .416cal Barnes X bullets (400grn) and turned them to 408dia. They shot real well out to 500yds, after that they really started to fall off. The 419 LRB bullet has a BC of .905 With the same sighting, there was about 3 feet difference in elevation at 1000yds. The stubby barnes bullet fell short.

Dave

Thanks for that,
I was thinking of using the woodleighs for "breaking in" the barrel, and the xlc's for out to 800-1000 max.

I had a look at your site and it is quite informative.
I like the look of your .408 6" group.
I appreciate your time.

thanks.

Hey!
I dont know if you even considered trying the 400gr barnes XLC's in 450-400 nitro, like i mentioed they are .408 by the micrometer, and no longer in production. Midway are having a clearance and have dropped the price from $23 per box of 20 to $5! makes things a bit more attractive!
if you do try them, let me konw how your loads go!

thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.