400yd English Fox!!!

ray toy

Hi Everyone haven't posted much but really love the site with all the great stories and information on here!!!
Thought i would share a recent hunting story!!!
My buddy and myself arranged a evening hunt for Roebucks ( as they are in season at the moment in England ) . so he picked me up in his jeep and headed for the farm which was a 15 minute drive!!
On arrival at the Farm i noticed some fields had been cut recently for silage and that there was a Red Fox hunting for chopped up bits of mice in the field!!
I beckoned my mate to bring his jeep into the field and he parked up ready for me to set up on the jeep roof!!!
I got my rifle ( a custom Sako 6PPC ) set up on the roof and then took a reading with my Leica BRFs and the Fox ranged at 400 - 398yds!!!
There was 3 crows in the field which were teasing the Fox and he chased them off then got back to the mousing!!
I re-ranged him when he settled and he ranged 400yds and a 3mph wind coming from 3 o'clock!!!!
I dialed in the compensation for the drop / wind / angle and then chambered a round!!!
I waited for the Fox to turn side on and after a few minutes a crow called and the Fox turned side on and i placed the crosshares on the center of the Foxes shoulder and then sent the 65 V-max on its way!!!
Before the rifle even moved i seen the Fox rollover stone dead!!!
We then drove over to pick the Fox Up , i walked over to pick up the Fox up and on inspection the bullet had entered the center shoulder and exited at the rear of the other shoulder!!!

DSCF3576.jpg

Some other pictures of the view..............
DSCF3577.jpg

DSCF3574.jpg

Been really pleased with the 6PPC not just as a varmint round but as a hunting round too!!!
Thanks for reading and all the the best from England!!!!!
RAY................................................

Hi Ray,
Very nice pictures indeed. What wonderful rolling countryside.

Up until recently I varmint hunted here in New Zealand with a 6BR with 87 grain V-max's doing about 3000fps. Have now replaced the 6BR with a 20BR (same windage but half the elevation etc). My longest hit with the 6BR was about 350yards on a magpie [Australian Whiteback Magpie]. These if you are not familiar with them are not too much smaller than a crow. In Aust I understand they are protected, but here in NZ they do so well we treat them the same way as rabbits!

magpie_australian_20060313_0025b.jpg

Thanks for the replies lads!!!!!
I bet you have some beautiful scenery where you are too!!!
6BRBB , a very nice picture of a magpie too!!! , we can shoot them here in England too!!!
Just the other night my good friend Martin shot 3 with his custom Remmy in 6BR - he was using 75 V-max!!!!!!!!!!
All the best from England...........
RAY.....................................................

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.