$400 binos for Dad

varmintH8R

Hey everyone -

I ran a quick search to see if this topic had been covered. I'm sure it has, but the only applicable one my search skills produced was from 2012. I'd like a more current opinion.

My Dad is in his late 60's and does not have great eyesight. He lives on a lake and has a pair of binos he uses a lot. I think they may have come ashore at Normandy. It is time for an upgrade for Christmas.

These will primarily get used looking out over the lake, across the field, and occasionally when boating. Size is really not an issue at all - I'd rather go larger with better clarity than more compact with poorer (for the $). He wears glasses so that is definitely a consideration as well.

I'd like to stay in the $400 range, but am not afraid to push the budget if there is a step-change in value. That said, I know that the alpha glass is awesome but I am not stretching the budget THAT far (Swaro's, et al).

I am grateful for your opinions, experiences, etc

Thanks

Brandon

Check out the Leopold bx3 Mojave. Just bought a pair before my elk trip this year. I like them a lot. They also have the adjustable eye cups for when u have glasses on. Think they are in your price range or just under.

I would not go over 8X unless your Dad is a power lifter . Hands get to be a bit shaky when you reach Senior Status . Look at the Vortex Talon 8X32 HD . There were some really big Discounts on these lately since they are Discontinued . They are not Alpha Glass , but they are amazing for the price which should be well under your Limit IF you shop around . I bought these to carry around in the Car . You can Google a bunch of places that Test Binos , and some of these Sites Categorize by Quality within a Price Range .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.