375 cheytac fire forming

jbs2014

So I made a mistake and put a bit too much case lube on some 375 Cheytac cases I was resizing. I ended up with some dents around the shoulders. Would fire forming pop those dents out? If so how does one fire form a 375 Cheytac case? What do you all use?

Thank you

I don't load for a 375 CT , but it's easy to dent shoulders with excess lube . The dents are purely cosmetic and will be removed upon firing .

jbs2014,
If you want to fire form without using bullets you can use the inert filler method. I've recently been fire forming 375CT cases into 375ST cases using this method with very good results. I used some left over magnum pistol primers, 25gr of Unique and then filled the case up to the middle of the neck with grits. After gently tapping the case to settle the contents, I stuffed a ball of cotton in the neck to hold it all in. Worked very well and gave a nicely formed shoulder. Not quite as sharp of a shoulder as full power loads with a bullet but very close. Just make sure you clear out the chamber after each firing to prevent dented cases from the buildup that forms between the case neck and the end of the chamber. This debris can fall back into the chamber when the fired case is removed and create new dents. I just blow it out before inserting a fresh round. Also, give the barrel a thorough cleaning after fire forming to remove any left over residue before firing loaded rounds.

Jay

Jay

I will try that, will red dot work ok? And do you put a layer of cotton between the powder and the grits? Does it matter if I use the federal 215s (I only have those and CCI #35 on hand)

Thank you

I've never used red dot but I'm sure it will work. Just back down the charge some and give it a try before loading up the entire batch. You will not need much power to iron out the lube dents. I have heard of some people using some sort of wad between the powder and filler but I have not seen it to be necessary. Putting the filler directly on top of the powder has worked fine. The 215 primers will be more than adaquate. Shame to use them up just for this. Let us know how it works out.
Jay

I've never used red dot but I'm sure it will work. Just back down the charge some and give it a try before loading up the entire batch. You will not need much power to iron out the lube dents. I have heard of some people using some sort of wad between the powder and filler but I have not seen it to be necessary. Putting the filler directly on top of the powder has worked fine. The 215 primers will be more than adaquate. Shame to use them up just for this. Let us know how it works out.
Jay

24 grains of Red Dot, some grits, and a cotton ball worked just fine. Thanks for your help

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.