.375/338 Laupa Improved

Rockfish Dave

Just got everything back from Bartlein's in house smithing services. All I can say this build has been one PITA after another, but Bartlein is the one vender/shop that pulled through!

Have yet to fire it, but if it shoots like the other rifles that have been chambered by them it will a hammer!

A big thanks to Bartlein Barrels.

Now if I can get some Fed 215M primers I'll be in business!

(I just wanted to publicly thank them for for going above and beyond, to get this done right the first time!)

Tell us more about the build! What bullets you gonna start with. I just built a 338 Lap Imp, if there was a good Berger 375 bullet I would've went the direction you did

I bought the following to tryout:

250gr Barnes TTSX
Measured 3.665 COAL to lands

320gr Cutting Edge MTH
Measured 3.951 COAL to lands

350gr SMK's
Measured 3.885 COAL to lands

350gr Woodleigh VLD
Measured 4.030 COAL to lands

Plan on using the Barnes 250gr for hunting and single feeding the others for target shooting steel. You can imagine my relief when the Barnes will mag feed in a CIP magazine with ease.

The SMK's are the least expensive so I hope they shoot well. It will give me something to sling down range for fun.

This looks like a very interesting rifle build. Please do share the details of your build, along with your results, when you get down to burning some powder. I am really interested to see how your rifle performs. Cool project!

Pictures for us that are droolers.

So they use the reamer from Pacific Tool and Gauge?

Also this is the reamer you sent me for the build I would like to do so.

Curious what was the barrel taper you did for this build?

Thanks for the info Dave.

Jeff

Build specs:

Huber 2 stage trigger, 1lb each stage for a total pull of 2 pounds Best Aftermarket Rifle Triggers Reviews and Muzzle Brakes

Defiance Deviant 338 Lapua Magnum action
  • Target tang
  • Standard bolt flutes
  • Seekins Bottom metal cutout (was hoping to score one, but none to be found)
Bartlein Gain Twist barrels Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page

• 1:11 ending in 1:9.7
  • Remington Heavy Varmint Contour
  • 8, 1/4" flutes
Manners TF1 Folders « Manners Composite Stocks

• Mini-chassis for CIP magazines
  • Molded in MUD camo
  • Atlas rail
  • non-rotating flush cups
APA Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake

• 3/4 x 24tpi

So they use the reamer from Pacific Tool and Gauge?

Also this is the reamer you sent me for the build I would like to do so.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not sure if I gave you the final print. I went through so many iterations with each little but of information I received or gleaned from others. In the end it is pretty much the same as what Dave Kiff has on file for a 375/338 Lapua Improved with just a little less taper if I recall.

*edit* Just went back in my sent history. Yes, I used the version for single feed, although as mentioned above the 250 gr TTSX should magazine feed just fine.

Last edited:
Rockfish Dave,

Recently I was going though some records firing the Barnes .375 TTSX 250. I am not a benchrest shooter and the the groups certainly show this. But the groups also show the potential accuracy with a good shooter. The groups vary from 1/4" to 1".

The best three shot group it ever fired was 1/16" with G.S.Custom 265 HV bullets. The first three measured 1/16" so I fired another round. The group grew to 5/16" and another produced 9/16". Using the 300 Sierras produced so may 3/8" groups I was no longer surprised when it happened.

When I used Banres TSX 270 grain bullets the groups were more like 1" to 1 1/4". Certainly good enough for hunting but never impressed anyone with them.

Rockfish Dave,

Recently I was going though some records firing the Barnes .375 TTSX 250. I am not a benchrest shooter and the the groups certainly show this. But the groups also show the potential accuracy with a good shooter. The groups vary from 1/4" to 1".

The best three shot group it ever fired was 1/16" with G.S.Custom 265 HV bullets. The first three measured 1/16" so I fired another round. The group grew to 5/16" and another produced 9/16". Using the 300 Sierras produced so may 3/8" groups I was no longer surprised when it happened.

When I used Banres TSX 270 grain bullets the groups were more like 1" to 1 1/4". Certainly good enough for hunting but never impressed anyone with them.

Thanks for your input, that is why we test loads. Somethings work for some, and not others.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.