.358 Nosler Accu bond 225's

Unimpressed. The accuracy and speed of that load is nothing to write home about....
Hmmm, IMO that's a cheap shot. I'd guess you don't hunt in Indiana and you probably think copper is crud.

Since they have to use a case of less than 1.8 inches with a projectile of at least .357 IMO, its pretty rocking.

Do something productive, come up with a design that fits the letter of the law that has "accuracy and speed" to write home about. Otherwise an "atta boy" is called for.

Unimpressed. The accuracy and speed of that load is nothing to write home about....

Well thank goodness that you being unimpressed isn't a barometer of anything relavent.

Please regail us with tales of how you would extract impressive performance out of a 358WSSM 1.625" version out of a 22" tube. I'm all ears......

CR

Hmmm, IMO that's a cheap shot. I'd guess you don't hunt in Indiana and you probably think copper is crud.

Since they have to use a case of less than 1.8 inches with a projectile of at least .357 IMO, its pretty rocking.

Do something productive, come up with a design that fits the letter of the law that has "accuracy and speed" to write home about. Otherwise an "atta boy" is called for.

Ok I am from Indiana we talking about two different rounds here? I am using the 1.8 case length.

Ok I am from Indiana we talking about two different rounds here? I am using the 1.8 case length.

SJ,

The round I'm using is based on the WSSM case length. When Indiana first went to rifles the case length limit was established at 1.625". They have since amended that limit up to 1.8".
The aforementioned Grant will out run my WSSM by about 150-200fps across the board with the various bullet weights. My WSSM will out run your Hoosier by about 100-150fps with like bullet weights.

CR

SJ,

The round I'm using is based on the WSSM case length. When Indiana first went to rifles the case length limit was established at 1.625". They have since amended that limit up to 1.8".
The aforementioned Grant will out run my WSSM by about 150-200fps across the board with the various bullet weights. My WSSM will out run your Hoosier by about 100-150fps with like bullet weights.

CR

Yea that's where I am at with it. Thought this thread was about the 1.8 case and he was pushing the 1.8 that hard.

Actually if you go back and read the original post the thread is about questioning the BC of the 225 accu bond. But yes the case that I am running it in is the 358 Grant 1.8.

Actually if you go back and read the original post the thread is about questioning the BC of the 225 accu bond. But yes the case that I am running it in is the 358 Grant 1.8.

my range is only 100yds so weight does not seem to be much difference. The group you have at 225yds have you tried different weight at that distance and if so is the 180 your best group?

I am shooting a 358 GRANT 1.8. RUNNING ACCU BOND 225'S AROUND 2850. This is a copy and paste from right after deer season.

Now that the indiana deer season has came to a end I thought I would post how the Southern Indiana Precision built 358 Grant 1.8 preformed. There were a total of 6 deer taken ( 3 by me, 2 by my brother in law, and 1 by a youth taking his first deer). I was using a 225 grain accu bond at 2850 fps. Ranges were 60, 241, 298, 303, 363 and 523 yards. All first round hits with clean kills.

Built on a Savage action, 24" pacnor barrel, and Bell and Carlson stock

225 Accu Bond, SAUM brass

3 shot group at 100

SJ,

It was me that posted the 225yd group with the 180's.

I have tried a half dozen bullets but have settled on the 180gr Barnes as it is the fastest, flattest and most available.

Last year I used the 200gr Barnes TTSX at 2525fps with slightly larger groups. I found that at a 215yds it had enough *** to not bounce off this buck.

DSCN3624_zpsb59647c5.jpg

If you'd like to try a couple of the Barnes offerings and a few of the AccuBonds drop me a PM. Several guys were kind enough to help me out when I was researching bullets and I'll be happy to help you out if you want.

CR

No reason just trying to learn as much as I can. Not being able to shot much past 100 yds has me trusting the ballistic calculators more than I want to. If I can trust it out to 250 yds its going to be a good year. Not here to make any waves just info and all I can get.

No reason just trying to learn as much as I can. Not being able to shot much past 100 yds has me trusting the ballistic calculators more than I want to. If I can trust it out to 250 yds its going to be a good year. Not here to make any waves just info and all I can get.

250 yards should be well within the limits of any of the 358's (hoosier,wssm, grant, etc). As with any chambering I suggest to put rounds on paper/steel at distance and not just trust a ballistic program.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.