35 Days out.

Discussion in 'Physical Training For Mountain Hunting And Backpac' started by jasonco, Sep 15, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

36 days out til my first hunt here in CO. Load development is done. Gear is almost together. my most important piece of hunt equipment now, is the stationary spin bike. Been keeping up with the cardio for the summer, 15-30 minute sprints, now it's time to step up the training! Good diet supplemented with Wilderness Athlete products, Hydrate & Recover + Energy & Focus "Superman Mix". Last year, a dang hip injury kept me off the mountains, healed up and all in this year. If you haven't started some type of fitness, you still have time. This is my #1 equipment for the next 3 weeks. Who else is on the hunter fitness path?
    [​IMG]

joseph singleton likes this.
  2. Jmatt

Jmatt Member

Hope you're throwing some squats and deadlifts in there. The older I get the more my body reminds me when I haven't been doing them.

Rick Richard likes this.
  3. Muddyboots

Muddyboots Well-Known Member

Walking 9-10 miles every other day in local park that has trails with good changes in elevation, not much but gets you to dig in a bit here and there. More important to walk the distance to build some stamina even at 69.

jasonco and Rick Richard like this.
  4. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I am 66 and do Spin classes for cardio, Yoga for flexibility and weight training year round for that couple of weeks a year spent in the mountains. Older you get and the more it takes. Lol. Good luck to all this hunting season.

jasonco likes this.
  5. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have a body shop, do: doors, fenders, hoods,b quarter panels, steel truck bumpers, suspension parts, wheel assemblies count? 100's of pounds daily.

6. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Yeah and the fact that you are at a much higher altitude than us "flat landers". Hard to train for the effects of altitude unless you can get...high. Lol

Bravo 4 likes this.
  7. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you’re back at it this year. I have usually started my mountain PT regime but the military is saying no trip this year. I throw more rucking in, we have about a half mile hill that is real steep in several places. It would get worked in at least once a week, helps get the feet ready and you used to carrying weight. Add a 500 rep squat workout (building up to add a ruck) a couple times a week sure gets the legs ready. I was introduced to a new torture device recently, the assault bike. One minute sets at full capacity is about all I can handle. Rotate that with full on rowing machine for another minute and I find myself crappie flopping onto the floor, best cardio I’ve ever had...I hate it!:D

HARPERC and Rick Richard like this.