338 WSM Loads

LeMay

I'm looking at getting my 300WSM rebarrel to 338MSW and was looking for some starting loads for the 250gr and 300gr SMK for it.

Thanks LeMay OUT

I load the 180 , 225 accubond out of my dads 338WSM , with a stiff load of N550 I can get the 225 Accubond to 2900fps. , we tried some 250gr SMK's but the barrel is a bit short and the twist i think was a little slow for those speeds.
I think that the WSM case may be a bit small for the 300gr SMK's , but I think that with at least a 26" barrel you could get them to 2500fps out of the WSM

I was looking at putting a Mike Rock 5R barrel on it. I see makes a 27 inch barrel and was thinking about it being 27 inch. Do you think you could get 2650 with the 250 SMK? Who make a good set of dies for it. And what would be the best brass to get.

Thanks LeMay OUT

Well the 300WSM (338WSM Parent) holds abit less powder than the 338 Winchester mag and I now that the old 338 winchester can get the 250's up to 2700+fps with a 26" barrel and the 300WSM can get the 220gr bullets up to 2700fps with a 26" barrel.

I'd say that with the 27" barrel and the 5R rifleing that you should be able to get to 2650fps or **** close to it , you may even get a bit over it.

the 338 WSM is a bit more powder effecient than both the 338 win mag and the 300 WSM , and the 5R rifle egneraly does help with increased velocity.

As for brass , Winchester is good stuff if you go throught he trouble of sorting and case work , the Norma is the best for accuracy sake but its coslty and soft so if your running high pressures it won't last.

I had to make a set of dies , I'm not sure how big Redding goes up with their neck bushing but if they go big enough you could use their 300WSM dies with a bigger bushing.

I've ben doing a little more reading on it James Jones. I'm thinking about going with the 250 gr SMK Fed 215m primers and Norma brass. Now I just have to get a powder for it and a starting load. Id like to get about 2600fps with at bullet and a 3/4 MOA. Maybe 1/2 moa would be great. Maybe N550?

Thanks LeMay OUT

The N-550 is close to the same burn rate as H-4350 but offers a little better load density and it meters very well ,the N-560 may be a better choice if you have a , little longer barrel as its burn rate is a bit slower ,about like 4831 and R-22

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.