300 wsm loads

338savage

Just wondering what u guys thought on this I'm loading 200gr eldx 66.5gr of 4831sc coal is 2.855 shooting 2800fps 1 ragged hole at 100 yards out of a tikka but has very slight sticky bolt lift just befor lifted all they way up no injector mark on the brass and primers are fine

I would test that load in different temperatures to see if you get more pressure. I would also drop the charge by .5 and see if you have the accuracy and lose the sticky bolt lift. I shoot a 208 Amax in my 300wsm with 4831sc at 2700 and it is crazy accurate.

Wouldn't shoot a 200gr bullet out of a wsm. 180gr is where it's at 96% of the time for this cartridge. Big long bullets are somewhat of a nemesis for the short mags.
I'd reduce the charge and find the low node.

I shoot the 200gr ELDX in my Sako 75 300 WSM. So, my load should be very similar to what you would get in your Tikka. It was devastating on a NM bull elk this past October. Ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards
62.8 gr RL 17, COAL 2.855", 2952 fps. Nosler brass, WLRM primer

I run the 200-20x berger in mine, the same 66.5gr of 4831 (not sc). Runs at 2826fps from a 24" barrel, no pressure signs.

If your primers look fine, check case head expansion (are your primer pockets tight after a couple loadings?), and no case head swipes. At the temp you are shooting you are likely fine pressure wise. Your action could always have an issue with primary extraction, does it have the same stick feeling with a 64gr load?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.