338 rum

I was able to pick up a box of the 300 grn SMK's on the way home tonight. They are also pretty long but are a little shorter. I will get some loaded up and see how they shoot. I'm not sure if I will try to shoot them before I have a muzzle brake installed. Around a 100 grains of powder with a 300 grain bullet has to be a thumper.

Highridge1, I take it those loads of RL-25 and RL-33 are compressed loads. I can only load to the stock mag length right now. Later, I want to get a extended detachable magazine.

Also,I was thinking about having one of the muscle brakes from Precision Rifles installed. My barrel size would require the 9/16×24 Mini Magnum. What brakes are you guys using if any?

I'm running a 3 port Ti brake from Steve Pratt at Elk Meadow on my XCR 2. When I bought the rifle it had a Gentry quiet brake that was worthless so I had Steve install one of his Ti brakes. It was a good choice.
Services - Elk Meadow Performance

One of the best values on a great performing brake is the one that Nathan Wright (IdahoCTD) sells. Home Page

brentc, thanks for the info. I had looked at Nathan's brakes but from my understanding he just wants your barrel to be sent and that's not a option for me right now. Plus I don't trust any of the gunsmiths here in Fairbanks, Alaska to mess with my guns (very sad). I sent Elk Meadow Performance a email.

Here's what I did and it worked!

I worked up to 101.5 grains of 50 BMG and the 300 Bergers.

I don't think one can stuff enough 50 BMG into that case to do any harm.

With as seating depth jammed to the point where the bullet will extract with an unfired cartridge she never shot better and more consistently with any other load. Seating deeper was even a bit more accurate but leaving bullets in the bore was a real pain and super unsuitable for a hunting situation.

Mine was a single shot so COAL wasn't a problem.

Just say'n.....

I have a remington XCR 338 rum but I re-barreled it. My extremely accurate load is 300 berger, WLRM primers, 88 grains Retumbo, 3.78COAL with average velocity of 2730 with R-P brass. Nosler brass takes 20 fps off that load. This load will shoot 1.5" groups all day long at 300 yds. I believe that i am the weak link, I believe the gun would shoot better with a steadier hand and clearer eye.

I also have a XCR2 in 338 RUM, I have tried a lot different powders in my rifle. The 2 best I have tried are H1000 and RL 26 with 250gr Bergers Hunting bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.