.338 Norma Improved????

Nice! I finally worked up some loads for mine. What length barrel are you using to get those velocities and what powder?

out of my 22" barrel I am getting 2703 using 87.5 Gr of Retumbo, groups are amazing and so are the SD's. SD=1.

I was using 93gr of Retumbo until tried to RL-33. From now on I'll use the 14lbs. of Retumbo that is taking up space on my shelf to fire form brass & the 33 in the improved cartridge. RL-33 is DEFINITELY the way to go!! No pressure signs & lots of speed with outstanding accuracy..

Is there a difference in 300 norma vs 308 norma or do you just wanting to use lapua brass ? you will need a form die if you use 338 lapua brass

Last edited:
The 308 Norma is a 30-338 Win Mag (.532 base), the 300 Norma is a 30 cal shortened and necked down 338 Lapua (.589 base)

How did you make out at DTA?? Did you lay the smack down & get some good pics?? :)

sorry, just saw this, yes hit steel or to 1800 yards . my little. 338 killed it . here's some practice shooting on my support side

Attachments

• GOPR0720.jpg
    GOPR0720.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 157
Thats some good velocity your getting.I have a friend that built a 300 NMI and was working well for him.Was that pict you had looked like you fit in a AI mag,I have 2 338 NM and would maybe like to IMP one some day.This is a picture of my kid putting smack down on buck I spotted on opener with my 338NM

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 145
Thats some good velocity your getting.I have a friend that built a 300 NMI and was working well for him.Was that pict you had looked like you fit in a AI mag,I have 2 338 NM and would maybe like to IMP one some day.This is a picture of my kid putting smack down on buck I spotted on opener with my 338NM

I am running the Desert Tech SRS, they have either a standard mag or a magnum mag. I run the magnum mag with no issues. In fact I have a lot of room to spare to seat the bullets way out there. the mags index the the shoulders of the cases, thus allowing you to achieve the up most accuracy.

I have a tight chamber to get those velocities. I love the Improved version, now I need to load up the new ELD Match bullets and see how they do.

Yes like you I went to RL33. The 338 Norma imp. with 300 gr. Bergers shoot really well and I have two rifles now, one with a 28" Keiger barrel and the other with 30" Bartlein and both .5 MOA which really surprised me ! I would recommend this caliber and it is fun to shoot. Now to get one Coyote at a 1000yds would be great! gun):) Good shooting to All. Bill

Ok guys who out there has a 338 Norma imp reamer to use or cut a chamber with . Looking for 35 Degree standard neck or slightly shorter.

TS Customs has a reamer, they are out of South Dakota I think.

Also, I know John Beanland has one because he turned my barrel.

I will get the next one in a 28" or 30" tube. the 22" is awesome but I'm not going all tacticool these days

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.