338 NM paired with Omega 36M

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Gents,
Got around to testing felt recoil on my 338 NM with the Omega 36M.

My gun weighs just under 12 lbs scoped and sports a 4 port slabbed Muscle Brake. The brake makes it easy to shoot and spot hits. I was shooting 265 ABLRs at 2830 fps.

I first shot a few rounds to set a baseline. I then installed the ASR 3 port brake. The ASR brake is about the same overall length, has a much smaller diameter, and the ports are much larger. I was surprised that the recoil difference between the two wasn't bad. I put the suppressor on and was very surprised by the recoil impulse. Rather than a kick, it was as if someone put a pneumatic piston between me and the rifle. I fired a few shots with the suppressor in the long configuration and short configuration. The short configuration did regain some of the 'punch' feel. A half way point between the long configuration and the brake.

Sound: I was shooting at a range with a metal roof near an end wall. I bet the sound in the field would be a bit better. In the long configuration, it made my ears ring for about 15 to 20 seconds. It was not comfortable. In the short configuration, it was much louder. My ears rang for a minute or two and I regretted trying it without ear protection. To me, its not worth saving a few inches on the overall length for that kind of punishment.

For a flip flop comparison, I put the suppressor on a 204 and it sounded super quite.

There didn't appear to be any accuracy issues in any of the configurations I tested. I didn't test specifically for repeatability. It shot to the same POI between the ASR configuration, direct thread, short, and long configurations. I think that's a good indication for repeatability. I was doing my testing at 550 yards.