• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 338 Lapua, choosing reloading dies

eric nelson

This will be new to me. I have a RCBS Rock Chuck press and have used it for many years. Never with bushing type dies. Wondering what you would suggest; manufacturing company and type of dies and why. I will be using an 8 lb. rifle and long range hunting and long range shooting. So far I only can range to 1000yds. hope to change that soon too! All suggestions appreciated. Likely purchase new Lapua brass, but the powders and bullets will be based upon some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I use Redding 3 competition 3 die bushing set for my .338 LM and could not be happier.

Go Lapua brass. ( mine have 13 firings now)

CCI 250 primer

H-1000 powder starting at 89 grains and working up in 1/2 gr steps.

and Berger Hybrid OTM 300 gr bullets. or you could use the 300 Sierra's too but the Bergers are consistantly shooting tighter groups at long distances for me.

Jeff

Eric, not trying to hijack your thread, but I have a set of 338 Lapua competition dies from Redding that I am selling. I have only run 50 rds through them prior to selling my rifle. Let me know if you are interested, have two bushings for them as well.

I've only loaded a hundfull of 338LM so far. I really liked the Forester ultra dies. It is a FL sizing die with Ultra micrometer seating die. I didn't want to shell out 300 without knowing how it would work out.

EDIT: I just saw that the Forester micrometer seater die is touching the tip of the bullets. I am using berger 300gr OTM. It is slightly deforming the tip of the bullet. I'm gonna have to change the stem out or drill it out.

Last edited: