338 Edge+P Over pressure?

I'd say there is no way that's from pressure, you can have a round show ejector marks in many ways but you combine that your still at min of a 100 fps under where an edge +P will run and you have nearly zero flattening of a primer, if it was pressure you'd see a progression of the indicators, you now where near that yet!!

I have had that happen with a 243 but I was using large mag pistol primers. Switched to large rifle like I should have been using and problem went away. Also there is a good chance the missing piece of primer is now somewhere inside the bolt assembly keeping the firing pin from striking the next primer (that's what happened on mine). You should be able to take apart the bolt and clean it out and everything be fine, or any smith could if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

I'd say there is no way that's from pressure, you can have a round show ejector marks in many ways but you combine that your still at min of a 100 fps under where an edge +P will run and you have nearly zero flattening of a primer, if it was pressure you'd see a progression of the indicators, you now where near that yet!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen ejector marks on my ultra mag and you don't have to hold them at just the right angle to see them. I do see what everyone is seeing in the picture, but I'm regretting using those pictures because I'm telling you that the ejector marks are not there. Anyways, I appreciate all the input

Looks like they all have ejector marks starting at 94, even the last 93 has it on the "em" in rem. Tilt the case in the light, youll see it. Its pressure no doubt. Could be soft brass, they show it earlier than harder brass obviously. Doyou have a decap die? See if you can tell a difference in how much force is needed to deprime the overpressure cases, that would be another clue.

I dont rely on cratering. Some firing pin holes will crater a low pressure round everytime.

Take a look at your firing pin head with a magnifying glass, see if it eroded and needs replacing. Considering flushing the trigger with lighter fluid.

Agreed, Firing pin cratering is a poor indicator of pressure. I've got an older rifle that I is a legit 1/2MOA gun. If you were to judge my reloads by firing pin crater alone, you'd think i was about 10grn over max when in reality im only about 1 grain over max:D

The flattening of your primers is almost non-existant. Certainly doesnt seem to be from pressure in that regard.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.