338 Edge+P Over pressure?

TA1911A1

Ok,

First outing with the new Canyon Rifle chambered in 338 Edge+P. The purpose of the day was to initial load development. I started off at 93 grains of H1000. First string at 93 grains yielded 2882, 2879, and 2836 fps. I checked each case after firing, no ejector marks and the primers looked normal. Bolt lift was as if there were no case in the chamber. The velocity seemed a little faster than what I expected but, everything else appeared normal. Not sure what happened to the 2836...

I moved to the 94 grain loads and they yielded 2879, 2901, and 2895 fps. Again no ejector marks, bolt lift was no change, but somehow wound up with a pierced primer. Whether I just flat missed it or, perhaps the glare was just right. Fact is I didn't see the pierced primer at the moment.

I then moved to the 95 grain loads and the first round yielded 2937. Again, no ejector mark, the primer appeared normal and no change in bolt lift although I did notice the trigger pull felt a little stiff. I chambered the next round and couldn't get the trigger to release the firing pin. After a bit of head scratching I finally saw the pierced primer and realized I had probably filled the firing pin chamber with crap. This terminated the test session until I can figure out what happened.

Perhaps I'm not reading the primers correctly but there are no ejector marks in the test cases and bolt lift was a breeze. Please take a look at the pictures and weigh in on what might have happened. The one on the far right of pic 2 is an unfired case from the same batch.

Here's a little more about the loads and process aside from powder.

338 Edge+P
Remington 300 RUM virgin brass
Necked up to 338 and neck turned just enough to clean up neck thickness variations
Debur flash hole
Trimmed to square the case mouth and annealed
Full length sized with a .363 bushing. Yield .0015 - .0020 neck tension
300 grain SMK
.010 off the lands
OAL 3.240
CCI 250 Primer
H1000 thrown to -.3 grain from my Lyman 1200 DPS3 and trickled up on my Redding No. 2 balance beam

Attachments

• 93 - 94.jpg
    93 - 94.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 94 - 95.jpg
    94 - 95.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 235
The same thing happened to me with my full custom 338 RUM several years ago. After a bit of research, I found that the CCI 250 primers I was using were prone to this. I switched to Federal 215s and no more problems. Could also be dimensions associated with the firing pin and hole. Also could be sharp or improperly adjusted firing pin, etc. etc.

Your primers look fine. Doesn't appear to me to be due to excess pressure.

Looks like they all have ejector marks starting at 94, even the last 93 has it on the "em" in rem. Tilt the case in the light, youll see it. Its pressure no doubt. Could be soft brass, they show it earlier than harder brass obviously. Doyou have a decap die? See if you can tell a difference in how much force is needed to deprime the overpressure cases, that would be another clue.

I dont rely on cratering. Some firing pin holes will crater a low pressure round everytime.

Take a look at your firing pin head with a magnifying glass, see if it eroded and needs replacing. Considering flushing the trigger with lighter fluid.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.