338 conversion

284stak

I have a 700 Rem moly action with the bolt face opened for a 330 Dakota w/Sako extractor. The dakota bolt face is larger than the ultramag, but smaller than the lapua.
Would like to switch to the 338 edge or lapua and am leaning towards the lapua since I have the HS DM system which can accom the COL of the lapua.
Does anyone see any reason not to switch to the lapua vs the edge, given the above? Brass cost is not an issue and I have a PTG reamer for an improved lapua.
Does the 338 LM PTG 700 bolt offer any benefit over the factory rem 700 bolt fitted w/sako extractor and trued?
Thanks

If it were me i would go with a PT&G bolt made up for the Lapua for several reasons , like , ordering it to fit the action tighter , smaller firing pin hole , the lugs are a little bit thicker , having the ejector located where it will work with the Sako extractor a little better and you can have their threaded handel welded on and timed to the action correctly where the factroy bolt probably is not.
I would also opt for the coned bolt face as it will allow a little better feeding and even thicker bolt lugs.

You should be able to sell your factroy bolt for $125 pretty easy especialy if its been trued up and with the Sako extractor.

But in short yes your current bolt will work for the Lapua and if the cost of the brass isin't an issue then I don't see any bennifit of going with the Edge over the Lapua especialy if your going with the Ackley improved version

Thanks for the reply - that was my thinking as well, but wanted some additional input. So, the PT&G bolt is definitely stronger than a std 700 bolt and worth the additional cost?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.