.338 Berger bullets

WV Sendero

Is there any chance of Berger developing a .338 bullet in the 200-225gr. range? I really want to try Bergers in my .338 RUM but I just don't want to go all the way to 300gr. I like 300gr. bullets in my 338 Edge that is set up for long range but I would love to have a 225gr Berger for my 338 RUM that I generally use between 50 to 300 yards. The 300gr bullet is just not needed in these ranges or for the animals I hunt (I know a 338 RUM isn't either but I like it and it is my best shooting sporting weight rifle). The Accubonds I have now are 225gr and have a listed BC of .550 and I'm sure Berger could beat that so I'm thinking this could still be a pretty good long range bullet if you wanted to use it there too. I mainly want the Berger from 200-225gr range for whitetails, and black bear. I would like the benefits of Berger bullets without having to shoot such a heavy bullet in this caliber. Is anyone else interested in a bullet from Berger in this weight range or anyone know if there is one on the way?

I had a 338WM for a few years. It really liked shooting the 215 SGK. Good bullet and will do what you ask of it to 500yds+. Maybe look at that. There is the 225SST by Hornady that will work also. Cousin said the Nosler Combined Technologies 200grn did really well in his 338WM.

Tank

I had a 338WM for a few years. It really liked shooting the 215 SGK. Good bullet and will do what you ask of it to 500yds+. Maybe look at that. There is the 225SST by Hornady that will work also. Cousin said the Nosler Combined Technologies 200grn did really well in his 338WM.

Tank

Does the coating on the CT 200gr Ballistic tip cause any fouling issues compared to bare copper jacketed bullets? Are there any special cleaning procedures before and after using that bullet? I actually have the 215 SGK and 200 CT BT on hand. I shot them both and they didn't group well but the gun was new and I hadn't tried the H1000 powder yet and this gun seems to really like it. I am shooting a 225gr Accubond now and the gun really loves them loaded over H1000. How does the expansion/jacket thickness of the SGK compare to the Accubond? I know the CT BT isn't bonded and is a little lighter jacket.

You don't need the high BC of a Berger at 300 yds or less. At those ranges BC isn't very important. Since the 225 accubond shoots well, that is all you need at 300 yds or twice distance that if needed. IMO the accubond is a better bullet at short ranges because it is tougher and less likely to blow up if placed into tough bone.

I really like the 300 Berger at long ranges, say past 600 yds. There's where the high BC and rapid expansion can be an asset.

Berger has in the past indicated that a 250 gn 338 might be forthcomming. But I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Another bullet that I like is the 225 gn cutting edge. BC of 0.64 and very accurate.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_D62

You don't need the high BC of a Berger at 300 yds or less. At those ranges BC isn't very important. Since the 225 accubond shoots well, that is all you need at 300 yds or twice distance that if needed. IMO the accubond is a better bullet at short ranges because it is tougher and less likely to blow up if placed into tough bone.

I really like the 300 Berger at long ranges, say past 600 yds. There's where the high BC and rapid expansion can be an asset.

Berger has in the past indicated that a 250 gn 338 might be forthcomming. But I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Another bullet that I like is the 225 gn cutting edge. BC of 0.64 and very accurate.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_D62

I was interested in the Bergers more for the DRT performance everyone claims rather than the BC. I agree with you in that the BC doesn't matter at those ranges and the Accubond I'm shooting has a BC of .550 which is not bad at all anyway. The reason I was considering another bullet was not because the Accubond failed, but that I shot 2 deer with them and both ran after the shot. One was a little far forward in the shoulder and the deer ran about 100yds but I"ll take the blame on that because the shot should have been back about 4 inches farther. The other was a perfect shot that entered tight behind the nearside shoulder and exited through the backside shoulder. I am not real sure why either deer ran because they both had a large amount of internal damage. Both also had exit wounds larger than golf balls and 1 had one broken shoulder and the other had both broken. I also killed a black bear with these bullets and it made the most devastating kill I have ever seen. The bullet entered middle to low in the chest and stopped in the pelvis bones. The bullet weighed 110gr after recovery. I am thinking that the bullet may not be transferring enough energy to the deer to knock them down because the bullet is not blowing up but instead blows right through. The bullet is definately expanding though. I may end up sticking with them because I am 99.9% sure the bullet will not fail me even if it doesn't drop em' in their tracks all the time. I'm not sure I would have that confidence in a frangible bullet. Would you have concerns shooting a Berger where 90% of the shots will be inside 200 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.